L2 portable evse

Discussion in 'Bolt EV' started by ke4d, Jul 13, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ke4d

ke4d New Member

Looking to pick up the dual evse that comes with the 22 EUV. I have a 22 EV so I only got the L1 evse. I already have a L2 at home left over from my Volt but I would like to carry a L2 in the car just in case. I really would like to get the GM EVSE and stay away from Chinese junk ( sure GMs didnt come from China right?). I have not been able to figure out how to order the GM L2 EVSE. I ask the dealer I bought the vehicle from and they said they did not have a way to get them except with an EUV.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. It isn't yet available on their accessories website. Eventually it will be.

4. ke4d

ke4d New Member

I guess that explains why I cannot find it on their site!

5. rgmichel

rgmichel Active Member

I have the Chargepoint device, and it has worked fine since 2017. I have no thoughts about Chinese junk. :) For portable use, I bought the Tesla device, with J plug exchanged instead of the original Tesla plug, but I also have the Tesla to J adapter, so I can still plug into a hotel site that only has the Tesla facilities. The Tesla device optionally comes with lots of alternative plugs for use at RV sites, dryer outlets, welder outlets, and so on as well as 120 volt. The advantage of the Chargepoint is that it is hooked into my wireless network and gives me reports of usage. There are many good options out there! Except for the financial incentives, I see no reason to prefer the GM options.

6. ke4d

ke4d New Member

I am seeing a price of $750 for the Chargepoint . The GM portable is $295 or $299. I am not paying more for something I will rarely use. I have an Aeroenvironment hardwired in my carport from my previous Volt. The cheaper ones on Amazon are all Chinese and many have some really poor reviews
    Maybe I missed a better deal on the ChargePoint?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. rgmichel

rgmichel Active Member

Interesting you ask the price of the Chargepoint. I paid about $600 back in 2017, but looking at Amazon, it looks like the 50 Amp version on sale now is $1k. Whew, not cheap for sure. I believe mine does not provide 50 amp charging, and my Bolt EV charges at 32 amp so that is no big deal for now. I don't usually have to charge for more than 3 or 4 hrs, depending of course on distance traveled. Looks like the Chargepoint is now Alexa compatible; not sure how useful that is. Mine works with Siri, but I don't use the Siri. Its just a gimmick in my view. The only problem I have with my Chargepoint is that the hanger for the plug is a bit flimsy. It broke, not catastrophically, very early on although it is still usable. Also, I find the Chargepoint iPad app to be somewhat clunky. It could be more useful and more nippy. So, I guess I cannot say its worth $1k, and there are many more choices now than there were back then. I luv my Tesla portable charger though. Its just not compatible with my Wifi as far as I know, but I have found no faults with it at all. BTW I also have a J extension cord from the "QuickChargePower" company: qccharge.com . This has come in handy many times on the road, and sometimes even at home. I keep it in the trunk all the time along with the Tesla portable, and my various adapters and plugs.

9. ke4d

ke4d New Member

My Aeroenvironment was in the back of my 2018 Volt when I bought it in 2019. I hardwired it myself and it works just fine. It is capable of 32 amps and I put in a 40 amp circuit. I see no reason to have a larger service as no matter what I have in the future, with the amount of travel we do, it will replenish overnight. That said, there are two old past residences we would like to visit. Blairsville Ga which currently has no dcfc and Brackettville TX where the nearest dcfc is 125 miles away. That is why I am looking for a L2 portable. While Blairsville is apparently installing some dcfc, they do have several level2 sites. The Texas location has nothing but an rv park and friends with 50 amp rv hookups, this the L2 portable would be handy. our Aeroenvironment is probably 5 or 6 years old as we got it used with the Volt. Its nothing fancy, doesn't communicate with anything except the car but the car texts me when it is finished and that is all I care about since it was free with my used Volt, I am happy with it! The VW dealer where I bought the Volt had no clue what it was, nor did they know anything about a Volt but we did !