Kona Road Trip Report

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FloridaSun, Oct 12, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Today, I took a road trip from Lakeland to Fort Lauderdale, using Highway 27.. 217 miles from my house to the Electrify America Station in Fort Lauderdale. There are several ones in the area, all with different pricing. I went to the cheapest one at 15 cents per minute. Stations were restricted to 50kw. Drove 65 mph for most of the way (65 mph is the speed limit on most of the way). Got an average of 4.1 miles/kwh despite strong head wind for most of the way. Had 43 miles left on the GoM after 217 miles.. 260 miles range at fairly normal highway speeds. There was a McDonalds and Walmart, so the time for the charging was just enough to eat and buy some food and drinks at Walmart.
    20191011_214755.jpg 20191011_214809.jpg 20191011_225022.jpg 20191011_225222.jpg

Joev likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I know you guys have a lot of free L2 chargers down there. But do you have any free DC fast chargers? Could you do a trip (500+ mile) all on free fast chargers? Just curious...

4. FloridaSun

I could have done the trip on free chargers if I would have had more time to charge. Most free DC chargers are 24kw chargers.. At 24 kw, it would have taken me over 2 hours to get to 80%. I'm only aware of 2 free 50kw DC Fast stations in all of Florida. One is in Largo, near Clearwater and the other one near I-75 and Florida Turnpike junction.
    The other free DC Fast chargers are at car and Harley Dealers and are only 24 kw. I was planning on using the one at Alligator Alley Harley Davidson, but it was so late and I wanted to get charged up fast.

R P likes this.
  5. FloridaSun

Made it back easily with 60 miles of range remaining. Was able to add some Level 2 juice while at breakfast and lunch. And added the last couple of percent at a free 24kw charger at Harley Davidson. Got 4.1 mi/kwh on the way back.. Same efficiency as on the way there.

Joev and Bugblndr like this.