Kona Must Have Accessories

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by cmwade77, Jul 28, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

I just bought a used Kona and I am wondering what are everyone's must have accessories?

I just bought an adapter that allows me to use the Tesla Destination chargers (not superchargers) and I still have my J1772 extension cord from the Nissan Leaf I traded in. Both I feel will be essential based on where I travel or will with the amazing range.

So, what are your must have accessories?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

The topic is partly covered in this thread. The visors are well worth the money. Also custom mats such as those sold by Tuxmat, especially the one for the cargo space.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    electriceddy likes this.
  4. mikeselectricstuff

mikeselectricstuff Active Member

Lithium jumpstart pack in case the 12v battery goes flat, as reported by several users

electriceddy likes this.
  5. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

I would look into a home charging solution. Most Kona owners do most their charging at home. Usually power rates at home are cheaper. There are special incentives in some areas and with some power companies to charge your EV. I use a JuiceBox Pro 40. It has a phone app for monitoring and tracking your charging sessions.
    Some have bought a spare tire conversion. Seams like a much better solution than the goo that Hyundai supplies and free towing. I also equipped my trunk with flairs and reflectors. That's just me.
    Some have installed a frunk. If you look in Facebook at the Kona sites you will see some very creative solutions for storage under your hood.
    There are energy monitoring equipment available to see your specifics of the car's battery status. Depends on what your into.

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

LOL, I really can't beat the free chargers a block from my house or the free quick charger that a Honda Dealership provides to all by my work.

Since I live in an apartment that I would have to pay for an electrical upgrade to (the landlord would allow it no problem), it just doesn't seem worth it to me, especially while I work from home two days a week and I could just as easily work from the car while charging on the level 2 charger.

Even if I have to pay, I am considered an essential worker and got EvGo's essential worker plan at $0.19/minute, which breaks down to a little lower than our off peak electric rate here.

I will look into the frunk part though, that would be handy.

GeorgeS and Fastnf like this.
  8. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

The car doesn't come with a spare tire, so it gives you a way to fix a flat tire while out on the road. You can't fix everything, of course (sidewall damage comes to mind), but for a typical screw/nail, this sort of kit works well.

If you use those spray cans of glue, it may get you on the road, but you essentially ruin the tire.

KiwiME likes this.
  9. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

I have a similar kit for my CMAX and the answer is simple: This allows you to do a permanent tire repair right on the side of the road without destroying the TPMS sensor. I am not sure about the tire stuff that comes with the Kona, but if you use the one that comes with the CMAX, you have to replace the TPMS sensor and some other things that adds about $100 to the tire replacement.

10. To remove this ad click here.

11. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

There was another thread about Spare Tires for the 2020 Kona EVs .. I bought 1 of these - just for the peace of mind on a long trip. It fits very well in the well of the Trunk after removing the big Styrofoam part that comes with the car. When just staying around town, I remove it and put the Styrofoam pack back in.

https://modernspare.com/product/2018-2020-hyundai-kona-spare-tire-kit-options/

12. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

Honestly, unless you drive though a lot of spaces with no services, I don't see this being necessary, as long as you have some form of roadside assistance. My insurance company will even send someone with a new tire (or tires) and they will change them on the spot if safe and in stock, just have to pay for the tires of course. If you are not in a safe spot, they will tow you to a safe spot and then change them. Or they will repair them if possible, that being said having the repair kit can save from having to wait for the tow truck to show up.

13. This is probably the most important accessory to carry with you. It is works very well for screw or nail tire leaks, which are the most common. You can fix your tire on the spot, without even taking it off the car. I have always kept one of these in every car and has saved me many times over the years.

14. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

"Roadside Assistance" ? That could take a long time, IMO. I really don't do a lot of distance trips - so like I said, for me, this is just for THOSE trips. Personally I'd rather just replace the tire and get back on the road. And regarding the "goop" thing that comes with the vehicle - there are reports that Tire Service Centers won't deal with fixing tires that have that stuff inside the tires. But I have no idea and don't wish to find out ... This is the 1st car EVER that I've owned that doesn't come with a spare. Hence my angst.

15. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Yeah, my sense is that it could take many hours. If you need a replacement tire, and it is late at night, you might be stuck sleeping in the car until the nearest tire shop opens.

These tire repair kits are small and cheap - worst case, you never need it. I might also suggest something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WNLJ66V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

sort of like a flashlight with an elastic band that you wear around your head. This is just one, of course - there are many such things on the market. This one is rechargable via USB. If you had to plug a tire after dark, some good illumination could make the job a lot easier.

electriceddy and SkookumPete like this.
  16. That's what we call it a "headlight" in the trades and I carry a few xtra batteries as well. Good post!