Kona intermittently powers down hard when turned off - possible 12v battery issue?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by EVOwnerFromDownThere, Jun 23, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. On my 2020 Kona Ultimate, I'm having an intermittent issue where the car seems to "crash" or power down "hard" when I park it and press the ignition switch to turn the car off.

Normally, when I park the car and go to turn it off, I'll get the chime, the radio will continue playing, etc. Intermittently, I'll push the button and everything will immediately go black - even the dome lights. A few seconds later, I'll hear a noise that sounds like it's coming from the HUD unit, a soft clunking for a few seconds. If I have my foot on the brake, it acts like any brake assist was immediately removed and forcefully pushes towards the default position.

When I power the car back on, it turns on just fine, but the infotainment stays on the Hyundai logo boot screen for 20-30 seconds minimum, and the HUD rises up (I never use the HUD, so it's in the lowered position).

I haven't been able to replicate this issue on-demand, but it's been happening more often over the last couple of months, I'd say at least once a week lately. Has anyone seen this behavior before? I don't have any other symptoms of a bad 12V battery.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I don't think this has been reported anywhere before. But I would suggest having a closer look at the 12V battery because I would expect that it's relied upon to supports the car's systems momentarily during a graceful shutdown. Buy yourself a battery monitor from Supercheap and you can monitor this easily with your smartphone. It's not practical to use a simple voltmeter to accomplish this.

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/century-century-bluetooth-battery-monitor---bm12v/601801.html#q=battery+monitor&lang=en_AU
    [​IMG]

electriceddy likes this.