Kona doesn't start charging when first plugged in.

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by ayryq, Jun 26, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. This is a follow up to something I mentioned in another thread. Lately when I plug in the Kona (to our home Grizzl-e "Smart" EVSE), it does not start charging. I hear a gentle "click click" from the car, the light on the EVSE goes solid-green ("Charging complete or no current consumed by the car"), the connector does not lock, and the ring around the port stays white.
    If I remove the connector and reinsert it, it starts charging like normal (i.e. more clicks and clunks, connector locks, EVSE light blinking green, port ring light green).
    It's always twice. It never works the first time, and always works the second time. I've left it plugged in in the first situation overnight (not on purpose!) and it never charged at all, so it's not a matter of not waiting long enough.
    I have not had occasion (ever) to charge anywhere else besides my home.

Any ideas?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Try at a public charger and see if you get the same issue. If not then your home cable could be faulty.

electriceddy likes this.
  4. Have you tried the portable charger that would have been supplied with the Kona?

Kirk and electriceddy like this.
  5. Good idea, I'll try that tomorrow. Haven't used it since the EVSE was installed since it required a very long extension cord.