Kona Brake Light Bulb Replacement

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by cattled, Oct 7, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. cattled

cattled New Member

Had to change a burned out brake light bulb on the rear of our 2021 Kona EV. As noted elsewhere, accessing the lights is different from the gas powered Kona and a bit of a pain, but do-able. Be aware of two challenges, though.

One challenge is removing the belly pan since you have to access the lights from underneath. All the fasteners are easy to remove except for a couple of weird plastic nuts. I think they were intended to be removed by hand but mine stripped right away. Luckily, you can use pliers to simply rip them off if necessary. They can be easily replaced with normal metal nuts and washers.

The other challenge is finding the correct replacement bulb. The local Napa had no listing in their book at all, and Advance Auto had the wrong part listed. While at Advance Auto we noticed that the original bulb has locating pegs that are not exactly 180º apart and it was an amber bulb. The listed part was a clear bulb with symmetrical pegs. The parts guy stared at the original bulb and returned with a different bulb labeled “CEC 7507 PY21W 12V” that worked perfectly. Thank goodness because had I tried the “correct” bulb I would have driven myself crazy trying to get it to fit, and possibly ruined the light socket.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Are you talking about *brake* lights or turn signal lamps?? All the brake lights are high up and LED.

_H*

4. cattled

cattled New Member

Hobbit you are correct. I meant turn signal, not brake light.

5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

How much money did Hyundai save by not using LEDs for the turn signals? Did the LED brake lights break the budget?