Kona 2021 Electrify America 250 kWh benefit

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Bookbear, May 25, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Bookbear

Bookbear Member

I used my Kona EA 250 kWh benefit for the first time today. The sign up was not easy (dealer had no clue, Hyundai Customer Car was unsure and had to dig deep, it involves your VIN and the last 4 digits of the motor number, and then a link to set up the account), but once done, it's pretty easy to use. You do have to use the app, though. No card like ChargePoint. Once your 250 kWh are used up, I am not sure what you do. I assume you can opt for one of the two existing plans. One offers higher cost per unit plus a per session fee, but no monthly fee; the other a lower cost per unit, no session charge, and $5/mo. fee. The Kona pricing plan is gone, only the 250 kWh benefit remains. The app keeps track of how many kWh you have left.

Esprit1st likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. As long as you charge 2x per month (a fairly full charge) you'll be better off using the $4 per month plan. It's like 12ยข pretty minute (kW) cheaper and pays off very fast.

4. Bookbear

Bookbear Member

In my case (I have a home level 2 charge setup) I would only use it on long trips. It's useful to have, but not a regular use item. So I would stick with the plan that does not have a monthly charge, even thought the per-unit cost would be higher.

5. NRH

NRH Active Member

You can just switch plans as needed. If you're going on a trip, turn on the Pass+ plan - it'll pay for itself after 2 charges.

Esprit1st likes this.
  6. MBW NJ

MBW NJ New Member

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. MBW NJ

MBW NJ New Member

You mentioned that you needed to get Hyundai Customer Care involved? I downloaded the app and created an account, but there's no intuitive next steps to "obtain" the freebie. Should Customer Care be able to step me through it?

9. Bookbear

Bookbear Member

MBW, as I understand it, your first stop should be the dealer you purchased from... however, not all dealers seem to know about it (mine did not), hence calling Hyundai. I spoke with a very nice and patient lady, but she had to dig around for the information. You need two things, the VIN # and the last four digits of the motor serial # installed in your vehicle. It's the second one that the dealer or Hyundai would need to look up for you. Then you go to the web link they provide for you (again, the dealer or Hyundai provides this), set up your account, enter those two numbers, and you're good. Your dealer SHOULD be able to do all this for you at time of purchase (it's a selling point for them, after all), but YMMV, as they say.

10. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

I just realized this was a thing last night, in the process of sniffing around for a new vehicle. Of
    course you need EA's unavailable-to-some app, and they're still refusing to accomodate other
    means of interaction. Maybe if *dealers* start complaining on behalf of their customer base,
    EA might hop to it and put the install packages on their own website or just let the website
    work like the app so all you need is a browser.

They keep pretending to care, but they don't.

_H*

electriceddy likes this.
  11. Bookbear

Bookbear Member

Well, my one and only experience with them was very pleasant.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Vlad

Vlad New Member

I called Electrify America's customer service number and the lady was so awesome. She put me on hold while she called Hyundai to get the 6-digit code that I needed. I then gave her my VIN # and she inputted both of them into her computer and viola, I got the free 250 kwh.

electriceddy and Esprit1st like this.
  14. Bookbear

Bookbear Member

Excellent! Another way to get the bonus! I was originally told that you had to go through the dealer, since it was a benefit only available to Hyundai EV's, so that's why I started there. Good for others to know they can just all EA directly.