Known charger port issues?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by victor_2019, Nov 28, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. victor_2019

victor_2019 Active Member

I have a 2019 Kona

This morning I plugged it in my 30A 240V charger ( it's an EVduty model I've been using since 2019)

3 hours later I unplugged it and the plug felt warm and there was a hot plastic smell.

I looked inside both the plug and the vehicle port. I don't see anything burnt although I see the plug is darker in one hole.

Nothing melted on the car side either but it's hard to see inside the hole to take a good look at the metal pin.

Now this was in relatively cold weather (5C) so I definitely have a big problem somewhere.

But the question is where? Is it the plug or the car?

I'm using this with another car but that one is a plug in so it doesn't spend a lot of time charging.

I've never seen this problem before and I usually pay attention to this sort of stuff.

Is there any known issue with the Kona charging port?

Does anyone here have a good suggestion for a North American place where I can buy a replacement plug handle? (Canada preferred, if possible)

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Pastera

Pastera New Member

electriceddy likes this.
  4. I’m a little surprised this sort of problem is not more common given the environmental conditions.
    You could try some contact cleaner but in end you might be best to replace the plug and cable or the entire charger to avoid damaging the pins on the EV side.

5. Genevamech

Genevamech Active Member

The vehicle side of the connection has solid pins, and the cable connector has split hollow pins that slide over the solid pins with a friction fit. I'd say that since it's the cable side that provides the clamping force, and it's the side that's most exposed to the elements, that's likely where the problem was... so the vehicle side is fine.

Just curious how/if the cable end is protected against weather and debris - i.e. does it get inserted into a holster or hung without a cover? Open end up?

Also worth considering is if there was any extra force on the connection that might have been wrenching on it, e.g. the cable was too taught. Pulling on the connection might cause a misalignment and poor connection.