Kia Niro hybrid '3'

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by silversod, Jan 20, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Well after a few months looking at EV's/Hybrids to replace our 17 year old car :eek: we finally decided on this Kia Niro hybrid '3' ('ex' trim in the US) It was a compromise especially on my part as I wanted to get a full on BEV but my missus wasn't particular keen on the BEV's in our price range so as it was a 50/50 decision we made this choice in midnight black because we both agreed it was a very comfortable car to drive had great mileage and fitted our needs perfectly.

We should be picking it up at the end of the month, Cant wait. :)

[​IMG]

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

I haven't seen any discussion of this car whatsoever. I hope you'll give us a detailed review and regular updates once you get the car!

...a 17-year old car. Yeah, maybe -- just maybe -- it is time for something newer. ;)
    -

silversod likes this.
  4. TeslaInvestors

TeslaInvestors Active Member

Great choice! Depending on where you live and what's your mix of electricity generation, you may actually be driving cheaper and cleaner than a BEV.;) Even if not, every step in the right direction counts.:)

silversod likes this.
  5. Pushmi-Pullyu

While there are likely certain places in the world you can find where that's true, it's certainly far less widespread than EV haters and Big Oil shills would like us to believe. It's also a claim often based on bogus science "studies" or even deliberate misinterpretations of what some authority said. For example:

USA Today recently published a misleading opinion article on electric vehicles. The author, Bjorn Lomborg, claims that electric car benefits are “just myths” repeating many arguments he has made before and to which we at UCS [Union of Concerned Scientists] have responded. Through a combination of cherry-picking data, bizarre assumptions and just plain false information, the author asserts that electric vehicles (EVs) produce more air pollution and similar global warming compared to efficient gasoline cars today and dismisses the potential to clean-up the nation’s electricity grid in the future.

Our own analysis shows the opposite.​

Full article: "USA Today Gets it Wrong – The Benefits of EVs Are Real"

silversod likes this.
  6. LOL yes I do tend to keep my cars for quite a while and it's getting too long in the tooth & expensive to maintain/run now. Presently fuel here is at £1.23/ litre =$8.31 UK gallon :eek: so it's time to get a more eco friendly economic car.

I believe this Niro uses the same hybrid set up as Kia's sister company Hyundai ioniq.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I picked the Niro hybrid up from the Kia dealership yesterday 30/1/18 and I'm very pleased with the way it drives so quietly & smoothly.
    The transition between electric drive when you start off to petrol mode is seamless barely noticeable.
    There is one feature on this Niro that wasn't on the Niro I test drove, It's a 12V re-set button by the steering column, the Niro has a 12V ion lithium battery in the boot area that runs the 12V system, they told me it will never have a flat battery as it can shut down when parked for any long periods of time, you can open the car door with the key manually, step on the brake pedal & press the re-set button at the same time to activate the 12V battery again.

I'm still playing with all the gizmos gadgets & toys yet :D and it willl take a week or two to trawl through the 'war & peace' size user manual. :p

A few pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Looks great, thanks for posting!
    Kind of odd that they put the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .
    Cool that it has a lithium 12V, too. I don't know why others stick with lead-acid in their electric cars.

silversod likes this.
  10. Pushmi-Pullyu

Looks to me like it's on the right side of the car. ;)

(Pushy ducks...)

America: A land in which two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do! :D :cool:
    -

silversod and Domenick like this.