Key fob battery change - fob buttons stopped working

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by len zaifman, Nov 8, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. len zaifman

len zaifman New Member

The battery was low in one of 2 fobs. I replaced the battery and the fob now starts car and i can manually lock and open doors, trunk and charge door. However none of the buttons on the fob work. Our dealership wasn't much help. Has anyone had this happen? Did you resolve it?
    I did take it apart and put it together gain 2x so if it was just a mechanical issue that I did not press the 2 parts of the fob together tight enough I think that would have solved it but still no working buttons, including alarm button.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

If the car is still under warranty, shouldn't the dealer replace the key fob if it stops working?

4. aapitten

aapitten Active Member

Stupid question... the CR2032 is in the correct orientation, correct?

5. len zaifman

len zaifman New Member

Yes : As i said the fob definitely works : car starts, doors can be locked/opened, charge port can be opened, trunk can be opened but all manually not from buttons on the key fob. It is the buttons that do not work.

6. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

@len zaifman :

It seems clear that your problem with the buttons was caused somehow when you replaced the battery.
    The fact that the fob works as you describe proves to me that the new battery was indeed properly installed.

There is a warning in the manual about being careful to not 'lose' the buttons when it is opened. I'm sure these buttons are typical of this sort of device where they press on a rubber membrane and make contact with the circuitry. I know you took it apart and re-assembled twice, but I am suspicious that the rubber membrane is not quite in the proper position.

I would take it apart again, and carefully lift the part with the battery out (keeping the buttons facing down) and carefully examine the membrane / buttons to be sure they are perfectly positioned. Once convinced that the membrane is right (and not hanging over the edge where it could impede you from snapping it closed again) then close it up and try again.

It is too much of a coincidence that this happened as part of the battery replacement... I'm betting that your fob is fine and you will be able to resurrect it.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I changed my Panasonic fob battery with a Sony 2032 yesterday and all the buttons work. Now I feel lucky.

9. TomL

TomL Active Member

Because of my advanced age and DIY feebleness, I rely on the nice people at BatteriesPlus to replace the battery in key fobs.