Keeping tabs on battery cells using iPhone App

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by hwitten, Oct 23, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Still in somewhat testing mode but thought I'd share what I have so far.
    I'm using iOS 14 on an iPhone X with an ODBLink MX+ OBD2 adapter.
    The App: Car Scanner Pro.

Sample file here: KonaOBD2.csv.zip

I have an older MX+ adapter that doesn't seem to want to go to sleep so I added a 1 to 3 OBD2 cable with on/off switch(es). I also use the EV2OBD gadget so have 2 of the 3 in use with third reserved for future experimentation.

Screen Shot 2020.png

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    Lars, electriceddy and Fastnf like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Could you shad light on what type of info you can get? My 2 months old 2021 is at the dealer. Last week shethe Check EV light came back just stopped charging and the Test EV light came on. The service did a diag scan and found a "cell overvoltage" code as in 'history', but the Check EV light went off by some sort of magic. I know from years working with electronics that problems that 'go away' are not fixed as a matter of fact they have a strong (99%) chance to come back and hunt you. Yesterday the charging stopped again after about a few minutes and the Check EV light came on - and stayed ON. Today the scan diagnosed a "charge controller" problem. I was told they will get one in a week. In the mean time I got a loaner so we are not without wheels.

Actually i have an old OBD2 tester, used it before. But I am not sure how useful the info is for EVs. I would love to find out.

4. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

There are different "pids" for the EV. That's the main difference. If your tester is a bluetooth dongle that you can use with your phone, you should be good to go - you just need a phone app that is configured. If your tester just scans for fault codes, then it might not be all that useful.

5. Car Scanner Pro has a profile for the Kona EV. Relatively easy to create your own multi-page Dashboard to view anything listed in the attached images. Car Scanner is available to iOS and Android. I use the iOS version.

IMG_5483.PNG IMG_5485.PNG IMG_5482.PNG IMG_5480.PNG IMG_5486.PNG IMG_5484.PNG IMG_5481.PNG IMG_5479.PNG IMG_5478.PNG IMG_5477.PNG

electriceddy and Lars like this.
  6. No, mine is an old one. Only reads the codes. I am quite prepared to get a Bluetooth dongle. I would love to have the software the Hyundai chap used. He just plugged in a Bluetooth thingy and after a few taps on his tablet I saw the software running through a list of tests. Very neat!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. That is good they gave you a loaner. Have you charged to 100% before? First report of a cell overvoltage (post recall date), What was the approx SOC when the EV warning light came on and stopped charging? I assume both times it was when AC charging? At least it is an issue with the charge controller (where ever that is located) and not the battery itself;)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  9. This is fantastic! Thanks. Can't find the app 'Car Scanner Pro' for either my Android or iPhone. There is a Car Scanner though on the App Store. Maybe it has a PRO (paid) version? Which is OK.

10. In the App store it's listed as "Car Scanner ELM OBD2". In the App itself it's titled as "Pro". I got it a long time ago but I'm guessing Pro is an in-APP purchase. It has a "Demo" mode that will help to get a feel for it. Be sure to use the Kona EV profile.

IMG_5487.PNG

Lars likes this.
  11. I charged to 100% before - twice. both times on L2. Both were about a month back.
    The first time the 'Check EV' light came on the charge started @40% and stopped @ SOC 56%.
    This was the state when I drove the car to the dealer initially. While waiting to be tested the light went off. After the scan we tested charging at the dealership, it worked OK. So I took the car home and finished charging it (L2) - to 90% for our road trip. We did an L3 'top up' from 80 to 90% to be sure to cover our trip.
    After the road trip, safely at home, the charge started @ SOC45% but stopped @51% and the Check EV light was on.

electriceddy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Thanks I am good to go - once I get my car back

14. You're absolutely right about that.