Just Saying That Range is Way More Than Spec

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by Barry W Finger, Oct 26, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Barry W Finger

Barry W Finger New Member

I’m averaging 4.7 miles per kW-hr. And that’s in Houston with the AC running for almost every mile driven until this week. I’ve never owned any ICE car that ever performed this much above the spec max range per fill up. Kia is likely hurting themselves a bit here as range is a significant discriminator as we all know.
    IMG_6109.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. TheHellYouSay

TheHellYouSay Member

Mine went to 300 once, most times it says 296 or so. Colder up here in WA state though. I'm getting 4.1 miles per kW-hr with mixed driving and 2,000+ miles on the clock.

Well, it wasn't exactly painless for me either as they aren't exactly giving them away. Paid a bit more for my Niro than I would've for a Model 3, but net tax savings still puts me at around $8K less. $30K was kind of my theoretical limit on spending, but I had to fudge that a little bit. The Niro is likely to fit my lifestyle better, need room to haul stuff if I decide to take it on trips. My biggest worry about buying a non-Tesla EV is battery life, so it does help to start out a little ahead of spec.

4. Case

Case New Member

I have been registering my driven km's and charged kWh's. Calculated back to your units my e-Niro does 3.5 miles per charged kWh on average, and 4.4 to 4.7 miles per battery kWh, giving a range of 280 to 300 miles.
    Quite happy with those numbers.

5. wizziwig

wizziwig Active Member

No mystery here. The EPA rating includes both city and highway driving. Individual results will vary wildly depending on how fast you drive and where you drive. If you do all your driving on 75 mph highways, you'll be lucky to hit 3.7 miles/kWh on average. Temperature will also have a huge effect as we hit the winter months. This large variance in range is true for all EVs.

6. mf989

mf989 Member

I don't think all EVs are treated with the same level of +/- variance on the EPA rating. From what have read in the e-Tron forums, the EPA rating is biased high and people get less than that often.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Francois

Francois Active Member

Despite the colder weather in Quebec, I am still getting about 430km range on my GOM when I charge my car at 90% versus the 415km at 100%for of the EPA. I think I will be seeing a range higher than the EPA roughly 8 months of the year.

9. TandM

TandM Active Member

I do agree with waiting to see what winter range is like but I disagree with your estimations of the highway range. To date about 90% of my 7800 miles on my Niro EV has been highway (at 70+mph) and my range is about 300 miles per charge even on the highway.

Last Monday, I left home with 306 miles of range (100% charge because of the extreme distance to my next available charge). I traveled 246 miles before I could charge (I was lucky to have a moderate 70s for temperature as I was traveling in and out of the foothills of the Appalachians which meant elevation changes but I maintained or slightly exceeded the posted speed the entire trip which was 70mph the majority of the time). I pulled in at the EVSE with 14% (58 miles) remaining. This means that I was seeing about 304 miles of range (of the predicted 306 at the start of the day) on the highway. This wasn't my first trip like this (hence me not being very concerned about needing to travel 246 miles of elevation changes on the highway between charges).

I have also seen this same kind of range when driving 300+ miles in 95F temperatures (AC on) with a full load in the cargo space (we were moving our daughter into her first apartment). Because we were chasing her there, we exceeded 70mph the entire first 156 miles and still pulled in with 48% (144 miles) remaining. We ended the day with over 320 miles driven and a rating of 4.6 m/kWh.

Maybe I am just really lucky? Whatever the reason, I am very pleased that I am exceeding the expectations so far.

10. davidtm

davidtm Active Member

Due to possible power outages with this evening's bad storms, I decided to fully charge the car. Check the predicted range! [​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

11. wizziwig

wizziwig Active Member

Since several of you are posting screenshots from the android app, have any of you noticed this app randomly switching from miles to kilometers?

Highest I've ever seen was 275 miles range from a 100% charge. That was actual driving, not just the guess-of-meter display. But I live in an area with many elevation changes and mostly drive 75+ mph highways. My results match those from Alex On Autos car review channel who lives in a nearby part of the country.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Robert Lewis

Robert Lewis Member

I've never driven a charge all the way down, but I have driven 275 miles after which I had about 50 miles left on the GOM a couple of times.

14. ITown

ITown Active Member

I get about 5 miles / kWh commuting to work and almost 4 miles / kWh driving normally on the freeway (~70 mph). So I agree that the range significantly exceeds the spec. I am not sure why Kia / Hyundai are selling their cars short on range. Perhaps they think people will be less likely to complain about degradation if the car is getting a 240 mile range after 3-5 years.