Just purchase 2018 at AutoNation. AN extended warranty help?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Bobbychow305, Mar 2, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Bobbychow305

Bobbychow305 New Member

I just purchased 2018 w 40K miles Honda from Auto Nation. They offer bumper to bumper warranty 4yr/40K $2995 or 5/60 for $3195. 1 owner w great service records from Honda. Any tips ? Good price?
    Should I get another company like Endurance or Honda care?
    Do I even need it due to reliability but worried w all hybrid components.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Pretty certain that the Honda Care ship has sailed. That needed to be purchased before the 3 year, 36,000 mile mark.

There is a 3 page list of electric drivetrain components that are covered under the 8yr/100K or 15yr/150K federal emissions warranty. And the A/C condenser has an extended warranty.

There’s an even longer list of parts that aren’t covered under the 3yr/36K factory warranty. Modern cars are full of gizmos that are costly to replace. It doesn’t just apply to hybrids.

Whatever you decide to buy, be sure to understand what is and isn’t covered. We bought the 8yr/80K HondaCare VSC two years ago, because I’m reasonably confident that this car will have issues within 8 years. Things have changed and we’ll be selling the car in the next month or so, but the contract is transferable.

4. RickSE

RickSE Active Member

IMO aftermarket warranties are rarely worth it. What state are you registering the car in? Z states have extended warranty coverage on a lot of parts that might be covered by your warranty. Regardless I wouldn’t do it.

Robert_Alabama likes this.
  5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Invest the $3K instead. If your Clarity someday needs a $3K part, you'll be ready. Our 2018 is on its 3rd AC condenser, but the two condenser replacements have been covered by Honda. Otherwise, no problems.

Robert_Alabama likes this.
  6. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

Most of these cars are trouble free other than the A/C condenser which is covered. I’ve had absolutely no issues with mine in nearly 6 yrs and 60k miles. I would not spend money on an extended warranty.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2024
    bpratt and RickSE like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. A lot of people have had trouble with the evap also, not covered. i have a hondacare. At ~$1000 it was cheap piece of mind. A third party one, not so much

9. We’ve also had reports of wheel bearing, head unit, wiring harness and power door lock issues. Many of those occurred within the factory warranty period. Give the car 5 more years and those issues, and others, are likely to occur.

Five years of additional coverage for $1000 is a bargain.

10. RickSE

RickSE Active Member

….except they want $3200 for five years.

11. Sure is. Some of us got it for a grand, so it doesn’t change the fact that $1000 is a bargain. $3200 could still prove to be a bargain.

Ultimately, finding a 2021 that hasn’t hit the 3yr/36,000 mile mark, or an older car that has a transferable Honda Care Contract would be the way to go. The OP may want to consider selling the current vehicle and buying one that qualifies for, or has, a Honda Care Contract.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

I purchased HondaCare when it was available for my 2018. I got the 8 year plan so still have until 2026. I recommended others buy it at the time, but the price matters. I got 8 years, 120K miles for $1550. I likely would not of done this if the price had been double or more. The price absolutely matters to me. If I have to pay $3200, like Insightman I would invest the $3200 and take my chances.

Also, and gets personal fast, but if it were the case that "holding the money" equals it will be gone when you need it, I would consider that too. No judgement here, its just that some life situations make it more difficult to hold money than others. Short version if you're cash strapped, and the warranty protects you from an unforeseen bomb shell, that might be worth it (like insurance basically). Unforeseen auto bills when you don't have a savings are a reason to buy a warranty. And as those that are already know, it is expensive to be poor.

RickSE likes this.
  14. We’d have to agree on the definitions of “poor” and “expensive”.

In my early working years, I would most likely have met the US standard of “poor”. Now, I would not likely meet that standard. Let’s call it “not poor”, which I can assure you, is much more expensive than the former.

15. ClarityRVA

ClarityRVA New Member

Open a savings account with Robinhood, they’re offering 5.3% right now. Put $3k in there and forget about it for 5 years.

16. Is that rate guaranteed for 5 years?

Negative.

17. Ryan Tucker

Ryan Tucker New Member

i tried aceautoprotect.com with marcus on my sons car. we just had a repair while he was away for school and they got him a loaner even though he is not 25 yet and they still repaired the car outside our location. they really helped us out as i did not want to fly out to help over something stupid