Just leased a 2020 NIro EV

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by ENirogus, Apr 15, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

Kia has some pretty attractive lease deals, so I bit. They also have 75 month zero percent interest. Hyundai has even better lease deals, but while I liked the Kona it was a bit small for what I need to do.

Like it fine so far, my first EV

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Paul K

Paul K Active Member

Congratulations. If I were buying a new EV right now it would probably be Niro. I flirted with the idea early in the winter as my 2018 base model Leaf does not have a heat pump. I test drove one and was blown away by how good it was and how the GOM showed an impressive range of around 375km at freezing temperatures with the heating on.

In the end I decided to hold on to the Leaf as they have a well deserved reputation for being super reliable and repair free and I have a 21 year old gasser that I bought brand new and still works well that can be used for a long run. Next reason for not buying would be the awful depreciation whack I would take on the Leaf.
    Next after that comes the "Osbourne effect". There are going to be so many new models coming on the market and even the Niro itself is due for a refresh.

I used to say about computers: "If it's on your desk it's obsolete". Now generally I can say that about EVs (Teslas notwithstanding). Enjoy the ride.

4. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

SO the GOM was doing so well, until......yesterday I had a 75 mile round trip to do and it was showing 116 miles, no worries right? Actually it turn into 87 miles...Well it had dropped into the mid 30 s and snowing[!] so even with judicious use of the heat the range started dropping dropping.....3 miles from home the little cup off coffee image came up, 1/4 mile from home it beeped at me and the screen warned me to charge now. [Dad! your car is out of batteries!]
    Anyway, it was my first full charge and I was just seeing what the range really looked like. Prior to the weird mid april cold snap I had been on target for about 250 miles driven but ended up at 218. A combination of two highway trips and unusually cold weather dropped my range. Doesn't really matte as I can charge at will at home, but I guess my real winter range will be lower than I had hoped

5. Raleigh Ron

Raleigh Ron Member

ENirogus - I'm curious - does your car have the heat pump (Cold Weather Pkg) or not?

6. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

yes it does

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

Annoyances

The rear wiper is on qualudes

The wiper intermittent wiper operation is opposite what I am used to

I don't need a little song when I turn the car on/off

The rear view camera is more susceptible to rain than some I have used.

Not fond of the smart cruise control. I might come around if I can change the settings

Back up alarm, yeah, I could do without that. Partially because there is a two year bridge construction project outside my office. Some days I need earplugs

But that is really all I have to complain about.

9. onthewater

onthewater New Member

So what range are you seeing in winter & summer?

10. onthewater

onthewater New Member

Also since the title is about leasing what kind of deal did you get? I was just comparing leasing vs buying and it's very complex. One dealer wanted $3500 down and 176/mo for 36mo, another wanted $3000 down and $297/mo for 36 mo - how can they vary by that much?

11. Recoil45

Recoil45 Active Member

$176 a month is practically a free car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. PaulinSoCal

PaulinSoCal New Member

I just leased the 2020 Niro as my first electric car as well.
    $1000 down and $179/month. 10k miles/year.
    So far--really happy with everything except the terrible backup noise :)

14. onthewater

onthewater New Member

@PaulinSoCal That sounds like too good to be true but you didn't mention if yours was an LX or EX, the # of months, and what kind of incentives you're getting. I'm guessing you must be getting about $3000 in CA incentives not available elsewhere. The closest deal I could get in Seattle is $3500 down on a 36mo @ 176/mo.

15. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

1400 miles in, no problems, yet to charge anywhere but home
    averaging 4.1 mi/kwh
    Pulled the trailer[folding 4x8 Harbor Freight with 150 pounds on it], actually ran about 4.2
    Drove about 230 miles Tuesday with 40 miles left on GOM.
    Mostly highway, 68 degrees out. 67 on the cruise but some traffic lowered speed