Juicebox meltdowns

Discussion in 'General' started by SpikeR, Dec 29, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. SpikeR

SpikeR New Member

Just wondering if others have had their Enel X Juicebox chargers melt down? Recently had my second issue in 4 years. First unit was replaced, but now I am "out of warranty" as they only cover 3 years from original purchase. $100 off as an "upgrade" is all they are willing to do despite having to rebuild the wall outlet twice. 2 Juiceboxes only lasting approximately 2 years each at 2 different houses installed by 2 different electricians. $100 off is not selling me on a unit that only lasts 2 years.

Any suggestions on why this is happening other than a bad product?

Number 1:
    upload_2022-12-29_1-2-52.jpeg
    upload_2022-12-29_1-7-38.jpeg

Number 2:
    upload_2022-12-29_1-3-29.jpeg
    upload_2022-12-29_1-8-15.jpeg upload_2022-12-29_1-2-52.jpeg upload_2022-12-29_1-3-29.jpeg upload_2022-12-29_1-7-38.jpeg upload_2022-12-29_1-8-15.jpeg upload_2022-12-29_1-2-52.jpeg upload_2022-12-29_1-3-29.jpeg upload_2022-12-29_1-7-38.jpeg upload_2022-12-29_1-8-15.jpeg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Munro live has a YouTube about residential NEMA 14-50 melting down.

What is your typical L2 current draw?

Our EVs take 30 and 31 amps. No problems since installing in 2016.

You might consider derating the charge rate.

Bob Wilson

4. SpikeR

SpikeR New Member

It was suggested I buy a 40A to cover any future needs which I did. I wasn't aware I could cut back the draw, but I now see on the app I can limit the max amps.

Disappointed nothing was ever said when the first one melted down.

They were so quick to replace it without question, I wondered if it was an issue they were regularly having.

Still makes me wonder, why have a 40A unit if you have to cut it back to keep from melting down?

5. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

It looks like you are using a cheap Home Depot outlet. These outlets work fine for ovens, but they are not really built for continuous use that an EV puts on it.

I suggest you spring for a Hubbell industrial grade outlet. Better yet, hardwire the EVSE if you're going to pull 40 amps.

For an adjustable EVSE, you are suppose to hardwire it if your local jurisdiction follows the latest electric code. So that's another good reason for hardwiring the EVSE.

6. SpikeR

SpikeR New Member

Also, I don't see anywhere I can view the draw it was taking.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SpikeR

SpikeR New Member

It was recommended when I was shopping, to buy a plug unit so that I could move it if I ever changed locations. I moved a few months after the first meltdown and didn't have to buy a new charger, but I'm buying a new one any way.

9. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

Hardwiring is only required for an adjustable EVSE. If the EVSE is not adjustable, then a plug and receptacle meets the latest electrical code.

My guess is that this will change in code at some point, since we are starting to see the same thing happen again and again.

See https://insideevs.com/features/625675/how-to-install-ev-charging/

10. SpikeR

SpikeR New Member

Thank you for all the info!

Would have been great if I received this education after the first issue, but at least I know what seems to be causing the problem.

11. The best solution.
    Nylon 2 Gang box cover, knock out for a 3/4" flex, 1 90 degree and 1 straight connector, about 2' liquid tight flex with #8 R90XL conductors, use split bolts c/w rubber tape to connect the 2 feeders in the 2 G box. ;)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2022
    SpikeR and Fastnf like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

I second this. I have the older 32A version. It melted the outlet that I bought at Lowe’s. I replaced it with a Hubbell outlet and have had no issues yet. As an experiment, I charged my Bolt for 8 hours straight at 32A in the summer, then immediately unplugged from the 14-50 outlet. The prongs were warm to the touch, but not so hot that I couldn’t keep my fingers on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

SpikeR likes this.
  14. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I would add that every few years, turn off the circuit and use a torque wrench to tighten the wire screws. The thermal cycles can loosen the screws/wire clamps over time.

Bob Wilson

SpikeR, GetOffYourGas and ericy like this.
  15. papab

papab Member

I'm surprised they replaced your unit since it is clearly an outlet/wiring problem, not a problem with their EVSE.

16. SpikeR

SpikeR New Member

Yeah, they were so quick to replace it, no questions asked. I wasn't sure if that was good customer service, or they knew there was a problem with the unit and wanted to replace it. Either way, it never gave me a reason to question the outlet until the second issue. Since the charger was now out of warranty, the best they would do was $100 "upgrade discount" off a new unit. No suggestion that the problem wasn't with their unit so I wasn't encouraged to rush out an buy another product from them that may only last 2 years. I'll repair the plug and replace the receptacle and keep the existing unit.

electriceddy and bwilson4web like this.