Juicebox and Chargepoint

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave Lohman, Oct 13, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. New to the forum, but have been enjoying the YouTubes and podcast for years now.

I’ve just about decided to purchase the JuiceBox for an external installation. But in northern Colorado, I’m afraid the cable will be too stiff in the wintertime. Is it possible to replace the cable with the ChargePoint Home Flex cable and connector?

I’ve had my 2019 eGolf for about a year, so I’m still a newbie. Anyone is welcome to redirect me if my question is nuts.

Is there a better option for a lockable outdoor EVSE with a more pliable cable?

Thanks

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I don't know - I would just try and purchase something that will suit my needs from the start, and not attempt to retrofit something.

Tom Moloughney does lots of reviews of these things, including putting the things in a chest freezer to see how stiff the cable gets.

Tom Moloughney likes this.
  4. Tom Moloughney

Tom Moloughney InsideEVs Staff Subscriber

So it's an external installation so I'm guessing you're hardwiring it (which is recommended for outdoor use)? If it's hardwired, the lockability shouldn't be an issue.

Can I ask you what made you choose the JB over the CP? I do like the JB, but its cable will be a problem outside in Colorado. You can use it, but it will be very stiff and difficult to manage. Yes, you *could* physically swap the cables, but you'd have to buy a ChargePoint Home Flex to get the cable. At that point, why not just use the CP - it's a very good unit also.

Leo Max, Dave Lohman and ericy like this.
  5. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

If you are willing to do a retractable pedestal hardwired EVSE, then it is a moot point for cable stiffness.

6. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I went with Grizzl-E (thanks to @Tom Moloughney's review!) because of the cold weather performance, including a cable that doesn't get stiff.

ericy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Well Tom, we are blessed and cursed by having two homes, and I want to charge at both. I thought that with the lockable charger just hanging on a plate, the JB would be transportable. I’ve watched your reviews and absolutely am convinced the CP is the way to go outside, but it bolts right on to the wall.

The house in town already has the exterior outlet, I’m planning to install internally in the mountains where we’re at just under 9000 ft elevation. The choice for external in town was to ease my wife’s fire anxiety a little.

I guess I’m going to have to bite the bullet and buy two chargers. We aren’t rich by any stretch, but having two homes (wife just inherited the mountain home) does have costs. I know, no one want to hear that complaint.

I know you’re a busy man, thanks for your reply.

9. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

How often do you go to the mountain home, and when you are there, how long do you typically stay? The reason I ask is that I am wondering if just using an L1 when you are there would be adequate.

10. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Maybe a portable EVSE is a good choice, you can bring it with you when you go to the other location. There are a few options such as: Tesla Mobile Connector, BMW/MINI Flexible Fast Charger, ClipperCreek AmazingE. You would just need an appropriate 240 V outlet at both locations.

ericy likes this.
  11. Probably too late for your purchase, but I have no issues with stiffness with our Juicebox cable in winter in Ohio during below 0F temps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. To remove this ad click here.