JD Powers

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by LAF, Jun 22, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

  1. LAF

    LAF Active Member

    • are people surprised? I know there has been a common problem with angry bees for some but...
    • Midsize Car: Honda Clarity. New this year, the Clarity is offered in pure electric, plug-in hybrid, and hydrogen fuel cell models, though the J.D. Power survey results doesn’t make the distinction between either configuration. Maybe it’s freshman jitters, but the Clarity gets two circles for overall quality, overall mechanical quality, features/accessories mechanical quality, overall design quality, and features/accessories design quality.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

  3. Viking79

    Viking79 Well-Known Member

    What does "two circles" mean?
  4. KentuckyKen

    KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

    Also the angry bees are not a common problem. Most of us are not experiencing it in normal driving. With no high altitudes or long steep mountain hills where I live, I don’t expect to ever hear them.
    ClarityDoc likes this.
  5. KentuckyKen

    KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

    Well I never got a Forbes survey; just a JD Power. And so far all my Honda’s have held up very well. Bought my first Honda in 1989 and never went back to Toyotas. Since this is a new model and new fangled as well I bought the only extended warranty I’ve ever bought.
    (Honda Care D80 for $1,304)
  6. To remove this ad click here.

  7. CaryLyn

    CaryLyn New Member

    I looked at the site and it looks like they reviewed the fuel cell, not the PHEV.
  8. bpratt

    bpratt Active Member

    I live at a high altitude and have to climb steep mountain hills usually when I leave the Salt Lake valley. Because of the angry bees I would give the car 4 circles and if it did not exist 5. Even with the problem of the engine racing sometimes when I travel long distances, (I only do that about 5% of the time and the other 95% is in EV mode where I use no gas) after owning the car for 6 months, I would still purchase it again. It's one of the finest automobiles I have ever owned.
  9. bfd

    bfd Active Member

    Not surprised. The lack of a true representative sample can't be dismissed. While I don't have numbers, I'm guessing that we're looking at n<500. Also, there's a general misunderstanding about hybrids - plug-in hybrids in particular - how they operate and are supposed to work that can't be dismissed. Put the two together, and this is what you get.

    No new model is perfect, and Clarity is no exception. When I answered my J.D. Power survey a few months ago, I had little or no reason to complain. I mentioned the Sirius XM issue and the HV range issue (and those are MINOR) I still have little or no reason to complain. The HV range issue appears to be resolved. I've consistently had better EV range than advertised. I've never had a warning pop on. I'm able to complete almost all of my trips on EV - even at freeway speeds. In over 3,000 miles, I've only used 15 gallons of gas. I have no complaints about workmanship, fit, or finish. I guess I just lucked out. Time will tell.

    Of note is that the Toyota Camry also earned only 2 circles. ( http://www.jdpower.com/cars/study/2018-Initial-Quality-Study/4170ENG/Midsize-Car/1039 )
    Ken7 and KentuckyKen like this.
  10. NJClarity

    NJClarity Member

    Wouldn’t lose a lot of sleep over JD Power reliability ratings. Whoever pays them the most money to use their data for ad purposes seems to always win (follow the money).
  11. To remove this ad click here.

  12. Pushmi-Pullyu

    Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

    What NJClarity said. The JD Power award is a "pay to play" award, and thus of highly questionable objectivity or value. I don't know whether or not it's appropriate to call it a "fake award", but it's certainly not anything that any reasonable person should pay attention to.

    From Consumer Reports: "Can You Trust Those Awards You See In Auto Ads?"

  13. Timothy

    Timothy Active Member

Share This Page