JCW EV

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by CuriousGeorge, Mar 7, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

It would be really nice if it were AWD since it's really easy to spin the tires on the current SE. More horses is going to be even worse.

Carsten Haase likes this.
  4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Would MINI dare offer another MINI Electric that has an EPA-equivalent range of 110 miles? Will people willingly pay Tesla Model 3 prices for an SE as quick as a Model 3 but with less than half the range?

5. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

The MINI Cooper SE has battery pack of 32.6 kWh and 28.9 kWh net .I wish to have in SE 54kWh .

6. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

I was surprised to see the Abarth 500E "Scorpionissima" has a claimed 0-60 of 7 seconds, not really that fast for a hot hatch

CoachCookie and SameGuy like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Well-Known Member

Honestly I would because it will still be fun to drive. Sans rebate My SE was like 52k tax in… 215hp and 54kwh battery sign me up! Actually according to my MA current SE owners will be getting preferential treatment for next Gen SE orders

9. MrSnrub

I think the regular 500e is a better car

10. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    With better launch control and less stifling of our SE’s low-end torque, it’d likely be capable of 5s. But at what mechanical or battery SoH cost…?;)

11. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

Wider track and bigger wheels is taking it further from the classic mini. My SE makes my R53 look small. And my R53 is huge compared to a classic.
    Bigger is really not a selling point for me. There are more than plenty bigger cars out there. The range sounds perfect for me. That's enough for long trips with reasonably spaced brain and butt breaks.
    Maybe the JCW, though, if it isn't too big. Would Mini do a retrofit JCW kit, like the R53? With electric motors, there is high chance that is a software upgrade there.
    Bring out a 400+hp AWD GP, and I'd be very, very interested.

CoachCookie and Tommm like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. CuriousGeorge

What tires do you have/under what conditions? So far I haven't experienced that (with P7s).

14. CuriousGeorge

Well that's interesting!

15. Brawndo

Brawndo Member

I still think there's a non-zero chance the car is actually rwd. Some of the wording has been coy.

I hope BMW can navigate the tax code and get the car here affordably. I'm likely to buy an EV JCW almost no matter what though so...

16. MrSnrub

It’s being built on the Funky Cat platform which is fwd but bmw is using their own drivetrain

17. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

Do you have the traction control on or off?

I have 215 width uhp all seasons (compatible grip to a high performance summer like a Pilot Sport 4S) and have no problem spinning the tires from a launch with TC off.

18. SameGuy

YUL
    Spinning? Or “chirping”? Have you played with roller mode yet? I have not.

19. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

Like someone above alluded to, the traction control keeps them from spinning. With it off, you can get them to chirp or spin extremely easily. I drive with TC on all the time, so it doesn't really matter, I just know that the car is artificially slower than it could be because the TC is cutting power.

As for tires, I have Blizzaks that I'm really not a fan of. They don't stop very well or corner very well. Looking forward to putting my summer wheels on in a week or two.

20. SameGuy

YUL
    Here in Quebec we are legally allowed to switch back to summer tires a week from today, but I wouldn’t dare; it won’t regularly get above 43°F for another month or so. I, too, can’t wait to switch! These Hakkaloogey tires are fantastic, but their ponderous handling sure isn’t as much fun.

Brawndo likes this.
  21. CuriousGeorge

On. I mistakenly assumed chrunck did as well.

22. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

MINI claims that by integrating the traction-control system into the MINI’s primary electronic control unit (ECU), it shortens the time between wheel slippage and system response. Do you believe that you could accelerate more quickly if you had full power without traction control?

Even if faster acceleration is possible w/o traction control, I greatly appreciate the ability to press the pedal to the metal while not donating any tire tread to decorate the pavement. Like the SE's stepless acceleration to top speed and one-pedal driving, drama-free acceleration seems to me another step in the right direction.

CamFG likes this.
  23. carrrl

carrrl Active Member

Straight line is well enough. My only speed/traction complaint is when needing zip out into a high speed intersection from 0 while turning. I feel the sluggishness and slipping no matter the tires. Slightly worse with my cold season Nokian WR G4. Low range and too many pot holes for bigger stickier tires. Like others that leaves me wanting AWD on my next vehicle for many reasons, but that is non-existent in a truly sub compact hatch/sedan EV.

SameGuy likes this.