Its Not GOM its WOM

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by David Towle, Mar 12, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

That's Wrong-O-Meter. Since I moved to Sarasota I've not plugged in at all, filled up with gas about 15 times. Every time after a fillup the WOM reads between 260 and 275 miles. I reset the trip odometer every time I put in gas. I have the car recharged via HV Charge to the 60% max (about 35 miles) at every fillup for consistency.

Then I proceed to drive the car, and by the end of the tank the total of the trip odometer and the WOM is between 330 and 380 miles. (Low is more highway, high numbers are no highway). I used to think this was from varying temperatures, or more hills, or something, but in Florida none of that is possible. Its just a WOM. I don't know how something could be engineered so far off. Granted its a trivial detail and the car overall is great, but its just bizarre.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ClarityDoc

ClarityDoc Active Member

It's hard for me to tell what you're talking about (maybe I'm just slow). Is this the estimate for total range (EV + ICE) that you're calling the WOM, or the EV range estimate (the latter being what we conventionally call the GOM)?

4. David Towle

To me the WOM is the Range number, right in front of the driver. Yes its the total of the EV and HV numbers that can be found on one of the Infotainment screens. Sorry if I'm confusing you versus the EV number, I think mainly the total since i can't plug in. What I'm saying is, as the car converts from estimate (Range) to real (trip odometer) the Range is off by an average of about 90 miles every time. It does not get any more accurate based on driving experience. Why it is so far off is a mystery.

Actually I did today find a place to plug in at the local mall but we don't go there often.

5. Are you saying the range estimate with an empty tank is between 330-380? Or are you actually getting 330-380 miles from a tank of gas?

6. David Towle

As I said the Range estimate starts out between 260 and 275 miles at every fillup (this includes 35 EV miles). Then I travel 295 to 345 miles with about 35 EV miles still in reserve, so the total of Range and Trip Odometer is 330-380 miles when I fillup (usually about 6.5 gallons).

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Thanks for the clarification. It wasn’t that clear to me in the first post.

You’re getting 50-58mpg driving and charging exclusively on gas. That’s quite remarkable.

markc, turtleturtle and JFon101231 like this.
  9. David Towle

Not quite that high, my best so far is 54. I am getting better though too. I drive in Sport with max regen. I had been trying to hold the power meter at zero when coasting to lights, but just recently decided that was too hard to do. So I switched to using the paddles to go to min regen on those coasts and that's when I got the 54 mpg. I think the bouncing around zero was not steady use of the motor.
    Florida conditions this time of year are very conducive to high mileage.

10. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

The HV miles remaining estimate, for whatever reason, always keeps a gallon in reserve; several trips I've driven it to zero and gotten 40-50 more miles in HV while it sat at zero before the gas actually ran out switched to EV.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
  11. JCA

JCA Active Member

I've never found gas-based range displays all that accurate in any car, nor all that useful for that matter. Around town getting gas is more opportunistic and less planned -- "I'm at 1 bar on the gauge so I think I'll get gas on the way home" is more relevant than "I see 100 miles so I'll plan to get gas on Thursday, and have an issue if I really need it Wednesday". And on a road trip when it gets down to some level I'm going to start looking for a station, knowing there'll be one in a few miles and it'll take 5 minutes. The extra ~gallon reserve is particularly noticeable in the Clarity with only a 7 gallon tank. If I'm somewhere with lots of stations I'll let it go to "empty" or 0 miles knowing there's at least another gallon/30 miles or so remaining; if on the part of US 50 in Nevada with 100 miles to the next gas station I might refill a little sooner :)

EV ranges, while also varied guesses, are more interesting and critical at least for a full BEV because the places to charge are a lot farther apart, and the time to charge a lot higher so planning is more relevant (I don't want to have to stop at 10am to charge for an hour when I'm then going to want to stop for lunch at noon).

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Regardless of the estimated range displayed either before or after adding fuel, he’s getting an actual 45-53mpg by traveling 295-345 on 6.5 gallons of gas. I had factored in the 35 EV miles previously with the 50-58mpg estimate, but since he’s always at 35 EV, that should not have been included in the calculation.

It is a bit interesting that the range estimate after fueling hasn’t “re-estimated” based on the previous drives.

David Towle likes this.
  14. leehoewonek

leehoewonek Member

Did you know you don't have to reset the trip meter every time you fill up? There is a page in the settings menu where you can have the 'a' trip meter reset every time you charge, and the 'b' trip meter reset every time you fill up the tank.

David Towle and JCA like this.
  15. jpkik96

jpkik96 Member

All - I been using the Car Scanner Pro app on recent drives to measure some of the OBD sensors, and one I keep on my dashboard is "Distance to Empty". I have noticed this measurement is consistently 40-50 miles higher than Honda's combined EV and HV GOM estimate, which would seem to supports petteyg359 observation. The Distance to Empty measurement also will go higher with local driving. I never run my gas tank empty but clearly there appears to be more range available than the GOM would indicate...

16. RickSE

RickSE Active Member

When I fill up the gas tank the HV range estimate sets to 315 miles. After I drive around for a few weeks solely using EV the range estimate changes to 275 miles. This happens every fill-up, and I have no clue why. As I rarely use HV my gas stays full for a long time and I usually have to go out of my way to burn it off every once in a while. I think I’ve put 5 gallons in the car this past covid year.

17. I’ve had some similarly optimistic estimates recently as well. I just figure 40mpg times 7 gallons and go with 280 miles on gas. As for the gauge, I use the 3 bars equals 1 gallon method and fill up at 2 bars.

MrFixit likes this.
  18. Aaron

Aaron Active Member

I did not know this! Where would I find this how would I do this?

19. leehoewonek

leehoewonek Member

Sorry, I forget where in the menu, and my wife is away with the car. If you just poke around in vehicle settings, though, you'll probably find it.

20. Danks

Danks Active Member

pg 328 in the manual Settings > Vehicle > Meter Setup

markc and David Towle like this.
  21. David Towle

Wow you have optimistic estimates, and I get consistently pessimistic estimates.
    We are always wishing we could get some Honda engineers to join this group so we could interrogate them! We'd probably scare them away in short order.

22. The most recent HV estimate after a fill up was 334 miles. The one before that was 349 miles. Those numbers would suggest 47-50mpg in HV.

My HV usage recently has been sporadic, a 10-20 mile stretch here or there on the freeway when my daily drive exceeds the ~50 miles EV range. On a few previous, long trips in HV, mpg was 36-40, so I find it difficult to believe that some how it’s getting upwards of 50mpg on these short stints. I have some chicken scratch notes for those trips of the miles in EV and HV. One day I’ll add them up and see how many gallons they used.

23. Eva Farkas

Eva Farkas New Member

I do delivery driving every day (150-250 km/day), and have no charging facility at home or nearby. Practically ALL of my driving is in HV mode and I occasionally use the HV Charge mode to bring my battery up to 50-60% battery. I find that every time I use the HV Charge mode, it really impacts my total range. That HV Charge mode just BLASTS through your gas efficiency (far more than if you took the time to plug in, if you could).

It's actually a bit of a fool's game, I'm finding, to run the HV Charge mode, if you're trying to maintain a certain amount of residual battery charge. Any gains from having that baseline charge are immediately wiped out (and then some) with the HV Charge mode on at a later time.

I do find that I capture quite a bit of residual charge (without plugging in) by coasting and using regen braking without having to resort to the HV Charge mode.

So I'd suggest running your car for a few "tank fulls" without any HV Charge mode" usage and see how/if that impacts the accuracy and reproducibility of your range estimates

TomL likes this.