IS YOUR EV STARTING TO COST TOO MUCH?

Discussion in 'General' started by CatherineA, Dec 9, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. CatherineA

CatherineA New Member

Hello!

I'm a Producer for ITV Tonight (current affairs series) and i'm keen to speak with anyone based in the UK who is trying to decide whether their electric vehicle is still making them enough of a saving, as electricity costs increase? Maybe you're considering going back to regular petrol / diesel cars?

Also keen to hear from anyone here who doesn't yet have an EV or experience with one but is considering it? I'd assume so as you're in this forum!

Pop me a quick message here or email me at [email protected] and i'll get in touch!

Thanks! :)

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Alabama USA here but I’d like to see how renewable wind and solar have played a part of UK rates too. My understanding is Australia is doing great but inspire of massive renewables in the UK, rates don’t make sense unless you are trying to buy that nuclear power plant in one year.

Bob Wilson

4. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

This is a non-issue when you combine an EV with solar PV and battery storage. With the TOU tariffs and high energy prices, one could easily arbitrage 7,000GBP in a year buying overnight electricity and reselling during the day. It's a money maker!

5. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

Not living in the UK, I would not provide much input to your story. However something does surprise me about your question. Electricity costs have increased as per your statement which is understandable. But I was listening to a story that gas (petrol) prices in the UK have gone up and quick web search shows gas prices have increased considerably since 2000 (almost tripled). A gallon of gas (petrol) is about US$7, which is higher than the average in the US. Are you suggesting that the price of electricity has gone up so much, that it is actually more economical to use a gas (petrol) engine in the UK, in spite of the Ukraine situation? Just curious.

6. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

This reads like someone looking for an anecdote to support a narrative. Your question is highly loaded. Why not just talk to multiple people and see what they say? Let the facts guide your story not a presupposition.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

7. To remove this ad click here.