Is the Nissan Leaf elegible for the tax credit in Q1 2021

Discussion in 'LEAF' started by interestedinEV, Jan 3, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

I was looking at some great deals for Nissan Leaf but the salesperson tells me that the federal tax credit of $7500 it is not available any more? Is that correct?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I don't see why not other than the dealer may not be enrolled in the program.
    Leaf sales in USA to date - 148,000 (Dec 2/20):
    https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/releases/release-ab66f6f7c90a629fe99aa9f76909130e-nissan-marks-10-years-of-leaf-sales-with-over-500000-sold-worldwide#:~:text=NASHVILLE, Tenn.,sold in the United States.
    well below the cap of 200,000:
    https://afdc.energy.gov/laws/409

4. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

Why does the dealer have to be enrolled? I thought all you needed was a new car invoice.

Spoonman. likes this.
  5. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

Don't take tax advice from a car salesman. The salesman make be confusing a local tax incentive with the federal tax credit.

It looks like the full amount is still in effect.

6. Electra

Electra Active Member

Yeah, I'm not sure what they meant by that. They are correct that Nissan has not sold 200,000 cars yet so you'll still be eligible for the $7500 tax credit for 2021. The bad thing about buying a car in January is that you have to wait until next year to file your taxes. You can change your w4 so they take less tax out of your paycheck.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. The last count I saw, was that Nissan had sold about 156K Leafs so far in the US. I think they want to ensure the Ariya gets to take advantage of the $7500 off for at least 6-12 month, starting mid 2022.

9. Spoonman.

Spoonman. Member

Yeah, the dealer has nothing to do with the credit. The salesman is ignorant or lying.