Is replacing AC refrigerant an expected maitenance item?

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by Kia Guy, May 3, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Kia Guy

Kia Guy Active Member

My 2019 Niro recently had its AC go and I was told to recharge the refrigerant. I was also told to expect to have to do this every few years.

Is that really a regular maintenance item? I thought refrigerant for the AC system runs on a closed loop? Let me know what you guys think.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I have never had to do that with any car I've had with AC. Even after 10 years. I can't speak to the Niro. My Niro EV EX is 2022 and has a heat pump, so it's probably different from yours.

4. No, of course not. It might have been decades ago.

Robert Bratton likes this.
  5. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

No! If you need to add refrigerant, then you have a leak. The repair shop needs to find the leak and repair it. Loose hose connections, rock hit to the condenser and a bad compressor are some of the places to start.

Robert Bratton likes this.
  6. David Mc Kinney

David Mc Kinney New Member

Good day,
    I am new here just got my EV yesterday, but I have tech background, has per the A/C system it is a close loop system unless a leak present or repair is perform
    then a Full/partial recharge would be best + if long term leak system empty since ?? ( time ) then the dryer unit would be highly recommended to be replace for optimum performance.
    *** manufacturer by default will command the a/c to engage in background FOR the windshield defrost and/or foot/windshield defrost without warning to you
    this is done to lub the system during cold season otherwise drying of o-ring/seals but will impact fuel mileage so after the window defrost switch to cabin/foot or mid vent
    All the best, Dave

7. To remove this ad click here.