Is it OK to charge incrementally?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by ozy, Feb 4, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ozy

ozy Active Member

My previous car was a Honda Clarity and could only get 47 electric miles daily. Consequently I installed a level 2 EVSE (AmazingE 15 amp EV) which has the words "3.8kWH of goodness" on its exterior. Since the ioniq5 has a battery pack of 74 kwH usable capacity, and since I intend to keep it between 20-80% this implies that a "full charge" for me would entail 44KwH of charging (60% of the total). I am assuming that my current AmazingE EVSE gets 3.8 kWH of "goodness" and will take about 12 hours for this. This may not be an issue if I can time this to occur on weekends or I could would be to not sweat the details but simply charge it whenever it dips below 20% and to stop the charging when I need to drive (even though on most days this will be mean it will be less than 80%). Of course, if I am charging it on weekends I can let it charge to 90 or 100% (which I think is actually reccomended once or twice a month anyway). it as needed and top off the power every 3 or 4 days. For example, I could have a full charge on a monday morning

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

I suggest just plugging in whenever your home and set the car to stop at 80% charge. It’s for sure ok to charge incrementally. I would not normally wait to only 20% charge to start charging. That’s a low capacity EVSE for a full electric vehicle and you’ll want it plug in most of the time.

4. ozy

ozy Active Member

I could buy a better evse and I could upgrade my outlet to 30,40,50 amps. However, if I don't need to do those things I would be more than happy to keep things simple. Simplest for me is to simply charge it every few days and not worry about what its current state of charge is. For example, with my Honda Clarity PHEV I would charge it even if I took a 10 mile drive because it only has 40 miles range. Since my ioniq has much longer range would it be degrading the health of the battery to charge it even when it has 60 or 70% of juice left? Just to be clear, it only takes me a minute to stick in the charger in my garage so this is not an issue of convenience, just want to do what's best for long battery life.

5. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

So your question is, given a charging power of 3.8kW, is it better to shallow charge frequently or deep charge infrequently. I suggest asking a Hyundai engineer that question for the Ioniq 5. Internet forums and dealership salespersons or service writers will only get you guesses. Contact Hyundai and see if they will follow up.

6. aamyotte

aamyotte Active Member

Sandroad likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ozy

ozy Active Member

Thanks. That was very helpful. My question was answered at this point here. He clearly explains that it's better to charge frequently (after short drives) rather than letting it discharge completely.
    upload_2024-2-5_8-32-50.png

9. Yes, and remember too, that as you drive with regen the car is constantly recharging small cycles. Even on a trip, makes good sense for other reasons, too, eg. to "opportunity" charge, ie take bio breaks, and eat where there are fast chargers available.

10. aamyotte

aamyotte Active Member

One acronym I've seen is ABC (Always be Charging). I suppose it would make sense too to set the charge on your EVSE to be lower amperage if the feature is possible to do a slower charge.

11. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

The ABC acronym is frequently cited on Inside EVs' MINI Cooper SE forum. We MINI Electric drivers are happy to be driving the lightest, best-handling EVs, but we must Always Be Charging.

aamyotte likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.