Is ISO 15118 supported on kona ev?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by rfg81, Dec 23, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. To remove this ad click here.

2. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

ISO15118 is the standard in Europe also known as CCS2. In Europe, they also don't use J1772, they use the Menneke Type 2 plug.
    All North America Konas come with CCS1 and J1772 while Euro version comes with Menneke and CCS2. They are not compatible and require an adapter. So, if you want to drive a Euro spec Kona in the US, you need an adapter just like you will need one to drive an US Kona in Europe.
    While the J1772 to Menneke Adapter is cheaper, the CCS1 to CCS2 adapter is not.

3. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

4. It seems the proper names are CCS Combo 1 and 2 but I see occasional casual references to CCS1 and CCS2, which could be confused with the standards and should be avoided.
    Here, Canon have used those terms to name their liquid-cooled plugs.

5. To remove this ad click here.

6. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

The Kona supports a subset of 15118, which is still an emerging standard
    that is expected to eventually support a whole lot of functions other than
    charging. Chase some of the many links in this, which I've recently
    updated, for more on it. In particular, the pages at v2g-clarity.com and
    wikipedia give some nice summaries.

In the absence of "plug & charge", I'm wondering if Autocharge could be
    supported today if the charging networks could register controller
    MAC addresses to customers.

_H*

7. Plug and Charge will be introduced in 2020: 2020 will bring the first vehicles that utilize ISO 15118 capability on the Electrify America network. Plug and Charge will dramatically improve the customer experience, as there will be no need to swipe a credit card or even use an app to initiate a charging session. The customer will simply pull up and plug in like Tesla owners do at Superchargers. The station will identify the vehicle and automatically bill the customer's account for the session.

Source: https://insideevs.com/news/389891/exclusive-interview-electrify-america-problems-solutions/

8. I don't know how old this translated article is but it implies all current CCS equipped EVs with specific reference to the Kona have the capacity to meet the standard at least with DC chargers. "So far, however, only one manufacturer has used the new standard for charging with alternating current: the Mercedes subsidiary Smart in the Smart EQ. Charging with direct current according to ISO 15118 is possible with current e-cars that master the charging standard CCS (see paragraph "Charging with direct current: the standards CCS and CHAdeMO."). These include the Hyundai models Ioniq Elektro and Kona Elektro."
    https://www.yello.de/mehralsdudenkst/iso-15118-e-auto-laden-ohne-app-und-kundenkarte/

9. Julian Egelstaff

Julian Egelstaff New Member

Found this thread in a Google search on ISO 15118. I can tell you that the 2021 Kona Electric supports some parts of this at least, since I have used EVgo's plug and charge feature with my Kona, in December 2022.

10. To remove this ad click here.

11. Kona supports Autocharge, which is an earlier iteration of the ISO 15118 Plug and Charge standard.

12. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

I've been round and round with EVgo for over a month now, trying to get them to manually enroll me for
    Autocharge since their app isn't available. I sent them my VIN and MAC, the latter of which I could read
    off the label on the control box, and they hinted that they had actually put that into some database but
    the actual setup/enablement hadn't been completed yet. I tried to be patient and wait, but when some
    first-tier schlump started in with the "you have to use the app" crap again I just about lost it.

Evidently the escalation-path people never bothered to read the email thread, which explained exactly
    WHY I was asking for this simple intervention, and now, why was it taking so long and why was I getting
    conflicting answers?? If their backend IT crew is incapable of adding a couple of things to a customer
    database, then they need a different crew. I should be able to enroll myself through their website portal
    where I set up everything else about my account, FFS.

This cancerous "download our junkware app" mentality is killing us. I have a perfectly good browser
    right here, let me use it unimpeded.

EVgo does claim, I'll note, that Autocharge should be supported even on their wheezy old 50kW units.
    If you can find one that still works, that is..

_H*