IOS 12 but no Google Maps or Waze

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Dave Ferrell, Sep 18, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Dave Ferrell

Dave Ferrell Member

I updated my phone to IOS 12 in the hope I would finally be able to use Google Maps on Car Play but no dice. Still doesn't give me the option of adding that app or Waze. Anyone know when this feature will be added? Or how to activate it if it's indeed available now?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Mckersive

Mckersive New Member

I understand that the feature exists on the iOS side but Waze and Google Maps’ implementation of it is still in beta. If you can get on Waze beta, you should be able to use it today.

Dave Ferrell likes this.
  4. delrey

delrey New Member

Right, they’re both still in beta testing. They should be available “soon”, where soon depends on how this final stage of beta testing goes.

Dave Ferrell likes this.
  5. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

Almost there... Almost there...

6. leehinde

leehinde Active Member

The Google Maps update for CarPlay is out.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. stanigu

stanigu Member

I tried it out today. It's awesome. The phone will display turn by turn directions, and I did the Satellite image for maps, which looks great!

Oak Hill Dan likes this.
  9. JCEV

JCEV Active Member

One of the biggest reasons we use my android over my wife's iPhone is Waze and Google maps . Finally Apple has caught up, much needed.

10. qtpie

qtpie Active Member

I just updated my iPhone with iOS12 and Google Maps 5.0 which supports CarPlay. Can't wait until Waze is available with CarPlay integration. We prefer Waze over Google Maps.

weave likes this.
  11. Tangible

Tangible Active Member

I moved Google Maps to the first page of CarPlay by going into Settings/General/CarPlay on the phone. You just hold down the icon till it wiggles, and then drag to the left. I did the opposite with Maps, which I will now rarely if ever use.

One big drawback of Google Maps is that it doesn’t show speed limits, unlike CarPlay Maps and the native Clarity nav. I’m looking forward to Waze, but GM will do until then.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Clarity Dave

Clarity Dave Member

Now that Google Maps is available on CarPlay (yay!) I've started a short wishlist for other apps. So far, it's:

* plugshare (chargepoint would be nice, too)
    * gasbuddy

A little searching indicates that chargepoint and gasbuddy are integrated into Apple's Maps app, but without offline map ability, I'm not willing to switch since I don't have unlimited cell data.

What do you all think?

Texas22Step likes this.
  14. RickSE

RickSE Active Member

Maybe I’m doing something wrong with the app but i was listening to music with google voice directions on. When there was a voice direction CarPlay switched to google for directions and then stayed in google instead of switching back to the music when the directions finished. Shut voice directions off for now because I’m not going to manually switch back to the music app every time google gives a direction.

15. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

Smells like a bug... Maybe a reason why Waze is not out yet?

16. StickWare

StickWare Active Member

As of yesterday, google maps now works. I had to uninstall and reinstall because it said no update available.

Works like a charm!

17. V8Power

V8Power Active Member

I updated to IOS12 but Google Maps still didn't appear in CarPlay. Turns out my Google Maps was stuck on V4.x even though it should auto-update. I had to delete the icon then reinstall from the App Store and now I have V5.03 and it shows up in CarPlay!

18. sshams95

sshams95 New Member

Check Google Map settings in Carplay. I am able to see speed limits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas22Step likes this.
  19. jorgie393

jorgie393 Well-Known Member

Sshams95, can you elaborate? How (and on what device—car or phone) do you access this setting to turn on speed limit reporting ? I haven’t been able to find this.

20. sshams95

sshams95 New Member

On the car. When you have Google Maps on the car screen, you will see a Setting icon on the top right corner. Press it and you will see 6 options. Bottom right shows Speed Limit. If it is blue, it is active.

It may be possible that the speed limit will only display while navigating.

21. jorgie393

Thank you but nope, no luck. Explored the settings/gear menu on car screen in Carplay/Google Maps with and without nav actually running. I get 5 options: avoid highway, avoid tolls, satellite, etc. but no speed limit. Are you on an iPhone or Android?

22. sshams95

sshams95 New Member

Iphone.

23. jorgie393

Thanks sshams95: but I don't have that icon. Quite possible I'm just being clueless; but I'm in Boston, and there's some evidence that the Google Maps speed limit feature is only in certain areas (as part of a A/B test), at least as of a few months ago--specifically San Francisco and some areas of Brazil:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/327614/how-do-i-display-the-speed-limit-on-google-maps-in-ios

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/maps/odF5BOCvuNw;context-place=topicsearchin/maps/speed$20limit

Here's hoping! It's the one thing I really liked about Apple Maps.