Ioniq5 Blues

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by Gerald A, Sep 8, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. Gerald A

Gerald A New Member

Hey guys, I am making this post to tell the story of my experience with my 2023 ionic five all-wheel-drive that I purchased in October 2022.

I was very excited to get this award winning car. I paid full price without any rebates and initially anyway I was not disappointed

My Ioniq was purchased as a primary family car and mostly with my wife’s ride

We installed a level two charger in our garage I was looking forward two our electric car future.

Things started off just fine as we were getting to learn how to operate the car and enjoying our gas free experience

Unfortunately, however, 370 miles in, we experienced our first dead 12 V battery.

I jump started the car and took it to the dealer and was told that it was working perfectly and our dead battery was probably a one off experience

I took the car home, hoping that the dealer was right but I have to admit I was a bit Perplexed

Things went fine for the next almost 3000 miles when I want to start the car in the morning and the 12 volt was dead again. Made an appointment with the dealer for the next day and had to jump start The car so I could drive it down there

I was told that the battery was good, and that no further action would be taken at this time. At this point, I purchased a portable battery and started keeping it in the car. And yes I have needed it.

Less than a month later, the 12 V was was dead again and off to the dealer I want where are my car was out of service for two weeks and I told that there was a draw on the battery and the fuse was changed and also I was advised to change my blue link password as allegedly third parties were hacking into the blue link system causing battery drain

I signed out of blue link and remain signed out.

At this point when I put my car on the level two charger, The car would stop the charge after proximately 45 minutes due to a heat buildup. Once I let the system, cool down, I could continue the charge basically for an hour at the time

I researched the problem myself and found that there was a technical service bulletin about this problem and Hyundai had a software update to deal with it. I printed out the TSB #3 and took it to the dealer who told me my car was not eligible for this update I said fine so fix it a couple days later I received a phone call thing well lo and behold my car was eligible for this update and would receive it. there seems to be a disconnect between corporate Hyundai and their dealers.

What this update accomplishes is to slow the rate of charge by my calculations 40% or so. Formerly a level two charge took seven hours now takes longer than 12 hours to charge . Not a big problem for me, but if someone came home late at night and wanted to use the car in the morning, it could be a problem, but I was willing to live with it and I really have very little choice in the matter

Subsequently my car went in for routine maintenance at 6000 miles and was reported to be in good shape

My next 12 V failure occurred at 6700 miles and I was told that there was a software update number 997 which was going to fix the problem. Great I thought ,finally, the dealer completed this software update on August 5, 2023 The same day I took it in.

I have to say this point at the Hyundai dealer was generous with me in terms of loaner cars. They typically gave me a car to use and at one point when they didn’t have one and they reimbursed me for Rental. while all this was going on, I did open two different complaint cases with corporate Hyundai.

They decided both times that my car was not eligible for a buyback. They never told me why.

OK the 17th, of August 11 days after the 997 software update my car was once again dead

Back to Hyundai I go where the dealer is unable to replicate the problem, but I was informed to keep the key fob 25 feet away from the car when not in use as having the key fob near the car prevented the car from going to sleep thus draining the battery.

I was a little skeptical at this point, but having no other choice, I tried it and a week later guess what, the 12 V died even though the key was no where near the car.

So my car is back at the dealer, and I am awaiting the results of the latest service effort.

The Ioniq five, the ionic six and the EV6 all have apart called the ICCu

Which controls among other things the charging of the 12 V battery

It is liquid cooled, and there have been reports of coolant leaks in the unit causing problems with the charging after 12 volt battery

This could turn out to be a very big problem for Hyundai, as they will need to replace thousands of these units which to my knowledge need to be re-designed to prevent leakage.

It makes me wonder if Hyundai is stalling because they don’t have the iccu units available insufficient quantity to replace them on a large scale. I believe there is a government investigation also looking into this issue.

I’m not sure what is going to happen with my situation, my car is not dependable and I am forced to have some alternate transportation available so my wife has a car that starts

I’m putting this out there and hope that potential buyers will be warned

The ionic five has the potential to be a great car, but there seems to be a fatal flaw, and I hope that other owners and potential owners have more luck than I did

I will update this video if and when I have more information to add, thank you.

Gerald Anthony

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

If that is the case, it's very cruel of them to send you home with various kinds of bad advice, such as how close your key fob can be to your I5.

Hyundai has similar 12-V battery-death problems with their older Kona EV. Clearly, their 12-Volt system engineer must be related to the CEO or have some other kind of unassailable job security.

Gerald A likes this.
  4. Karl Rulofs

Karl Rulofs New Member

i have owned my Ioniq 5 AWD Ultimate since Jan 11 2022 and ZERO 12 volt issues. i have over 30k km and the only complaint i have is the thin paint. i have read the manual and use bluelink periodically. The car gets charged primarily using the Chargepoint i installed myself and run it at 32amps. We have done multiple 800km one day trips up mountain passes and 3 quick charges. i have refused the recall update to the car and keep the navigation and radio up to date myself. i have nothing bad to say about the car and have an I5N on order.

Mike Bearsails likes this.
  5. marya

marya New Member

12 v battery problem: I purchased a new Ioniq 5 SE in May 2022. Despite the high cost of the difficult-to-find Ioniq due to the dealer "upcharge" I really love the car and it's great on the road. However, recently at 6200 miles, the 12 v battery has died 5 times. It starts, I drive it 8-10 miles, park, and when I return, dead battery. Roadside assistance charges the battery and I drive it to the dealership here in Eugene, Oregon. I showed them the YouTube video about the 12 v battery problem. After waiting 90 minutes, said it wasn't the problem in the video and the car was ready to drive home.

Same thing happened the next day (drove to an appointment, parked and returned to discover a dead battery). This time they kept it overnight. They don't have loaner cars so called Lyft to take me home. They kept the car a second night and still couldn't find a problem. Drove it home, and the next morning drove to a medical appointment. Same problem, discovered the dead battery when I was ready to leave.

While waiting for Roadside Assist, called Hyundai of America got a case number #22416610 and she said they would expedite my claim and I'd hear in 5 days. Told her I needed to rent a car and she said they would reimburse me. Well, my car has been in the shop for a week and I haven't heard from Hyundai of America. I am 78, live outside the city without public transportation nearby and definitely would not drive it at night. I have filed a lemon law claim (BBB) and am waiting for a response. When I do get my car back (hopefully soon. and problem free!!!), I will keep a charged Jump Starter/Portable Power Bank in the car--just in case.

I am not a mechanic, but I do worry that the problem will not be fixed by installing a new battery.