IONIQ 5 solar roof option

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by salant76, Feb 4, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. salant76

salant76 Member

*Moderator note, this thread begins with posts from reveal timing thread.
    @Nozuka,

Just was about to post that info as well.

One bit of info on the post that was interesting was the range:

“Ioniq 5 is equipped with two types of batteries, 58kWh and 73kWh. In the case of the 58㎾h model, it is possible to travel up to 450km (WLTP standard) per charge. It is reported that the mileage can be increased to a maximum of 510 km when the’solar roof’, which can be charged with sunlight, is selected as an option. The 73 ㎾h model can run up to 550 km on a single charge.”

Not sure how you can add 60 km of range to a battery with solar panels. Unless they are saying when driving those 450km you can gain 60 km with solar panels.

I am no solar panel expert but doesn’t that seem very high?

Either way the more range out of 58 kWh the better it is.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. 60 km (37.28 miles) is much farther than I would expect solar panels would add to range in a day. If the solar covered the roof, I would guess at closer to 10 miles a day.
    Interesting feature, though, and one I don't think has been talked about a lot. Maybe we should have a separate thread to discuss it.

4. Might come in handy if travelling on June 21 @ 66.6 degrees N (or other remote sunny locations), where an electric vehicle would require it. (Not much in the way of charging options)
    http://www.arctic.uoguelph.ca/cpe/environments/sky/features/sun_moon/daylight.htm#:~:text=Because of the earth's tilt,with the arctic fool you.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    mho likes this.
  5. salant76

salant76 Member

The Sonata Hybrid with solar roof gets around 807 miles (1291km) with 6 hours of sunlight per day. I could see the Ioniq 5 doubling that being a BEV and the potential for a large solar panel on the roof. That still is only 7km for 6 hours of light.

More info and a picture of the Ioniq 5 with a solar roof can be found here:
    https://thenextavenue.com/2020/10/29/hyundai-ioniq-5-will-have-solar-panels-on-its-roof/

Getting 10-15% of free charge is a great thing either way.

electriceddy likes this.
  6. How many watts are these solar panels?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Here's the IONIQ 5 solar roof on top and the Sonata Hybrid solar roof just below. They look exactly the same, so it's likely they are (more below images).
    hyundai-ioniq-5-solar-roof.jpeg

Sonata-Hybrid-solar-roof.jpg
    Alex on Autos put out a short video discussing the solar roof (below). Besides a close up, we learn that the car will tell you how much energy the panels add.
    He also says you can completely fill the traction battery of the Sonata Hybrid in 6 hours. That's 1.4 kWh. So, I'm thinking if you can get 4 miles per kWh, then maybe you be able to get 8 or so miles "for free" if it's outside all day. One thing's for sure: your mileage may vary.

AshOfIce, Kendalf and electriceddy like this.
  9. Found a great page with lots of Sonata hybrid solar roof info. "The Sonata Hybrid’s solar panels have a capacity of approximately 200W (204 to be exact); that is, panels exposed to the Sun in good sunlight will produce 200Wh of electricity."

Also, "The cells on the Sonata’s panels have a 22.8% efficiency rate, roughly 30~50% higher than the rate for the typical cells used on rooftop panels (15~19%)."

Drizzt and AshOfIce like this.
  10. salant76

salant76 Member

Domenick likes this.
  11. If it takes 6 hours to produce only 1.4kWh, that means the panels are only producing 233 watts max. That's pretty low. That size panel only costs about $100 now to buy. What would be more useful, is if you could connect the car to an external PV home bank directly. Obviously the car must already have a solar charge controller built in, which means should be a simple solar plug. There are other considerations, of course, like the correct DC voltage wiring for you panels.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Just for comparison, this Prius Prime has been fitted with high efficiency solar (in 2019) and is said to produce 860 watts, adding 44.5 km (27.65 miles) a day.
    This wouldn't sell in big numbers, I think, butI would not be surprised if, in the future, we see solar panels on hoods too, but integrated so that you can't tell they are there.
    Prius Prime solar.jpg

14. It would definitely be more useful to get solar energy from your house's or utility, but I've always been a fan of solar on cars. It could, for one, use the energy produced while sitting to run fans to keep the interior from getting scorching hot if it's sitting in the sun. I don't know if Hyundai is doing this, but others have.

I also like that it reminds people that solar simply exists. I live in north Florida and the amount of solar installations I see in the Sunshine State is abysmally low.

15. Yeah, problem is the cost of adding PVs to a car probably far outweighs the benefit. Would be much more useful if you could connect to a bank of external PVs. The reason this interests me somewhat is that we have an off-grid cabin with a solar system. And since that is not where we live and off grid, the PV capacity is mostly wasted.

Domenick likes this.
  16. People will definitely have to weigh the cost with the benefit. Personally, I don't mind if it doesn't pay for itself, though that would be really awesome if it could. One day, I believe it will, seeing as solar costs continue to fall and efficiencies increase.

17. Kendalf

Kendalf Active Member

It would mean an average of 233 W over 6 hours, but since solar production varies considerably depending on the position of the sun the actual peak panel production is much higher, but the peak only occurs for a short time during the day when the sun is highest. Those $100 solar panels can only produce the stated 250W production (let's say) only at the peak, while the average production over a day will be much lower.

18. Yes, of course. I mentioned that $100 to keep perspective of what we are talking about here. IE, I very much doubt the solar option on the car will only cost $100 more.

I have had my off-grid solar system (DIY) for quite a few years now at our lake cabin now, so very familiar with how it works, efficiencies, etc. My batteries actually cost more now (and need to be replaced every 10 years max) than the PVs (which can be good for 40 years). So sure would be nice to have the ability to charge the car from external PVs directly instead of needing batteries, charge controllers, inverters, and go through the car's AC charger.

Kendalf likes this.
  19. TimWa

TimWa New Member

This is a gimmick - get it if you like the idea, but there's no way the cost of this option would be paid back. Here in Melbourne you get around 3.8 kWh per installed kW per day, and where I'd park at work and home the car would be unshaded about 75% of the time, so over the year that's 3.8 x 0.2 x 365 x .75 = 208 kWh/year. For me that's about $50 (Australian) worth of electricity, and that's if I buy it off the grid rather than self-consuming our solar power. I can't see this being a cheap option so it would take decades to pay off.

It does look cool though.

Geezer and Domenick like this.
  20. AlexAnnecy

AlexAnnecy New Member

If you have 2.25 m2 of solar roof, you can hope for a 370-400W max power. Say 300W for 10h per day (summer days). That is 3kWh. For 200 days of the year that's 600kWh. I think you can get close to 800kWh / year with the winter days too

21. AlexAnnecy

AlexAnnecy New Member

What's cool is that if you are camped in the middle of nowhere, you get 3kWh / day to use on appliances. And you could charge your car in 20 days :)).

Drizzt, Geezer, AshOfIce and 2 others like this.
  22. TimWa

TimWa New Member

I don't think that's realistic. The specs further up in the thread say the solar roof gives just over 200 W, so maybe they could have improved a little, but not doubled. The system looks visually the same. The number I used of 3.8 is based on what is used for designing roof-mounted solar systems and is the average across the year, and that's when they can tilt the panels north towards the sun. From looking at what my system produces on the clearest summer days that will be 8.5-9.0, but there are also days when it's under 0.5 on a rainy day in winter. Even in the sunniest parts of Australia the average across the year is 6.5.

Making some really generous assumptions I could get 2.0-2.5 kWh on the best days of the year. in Melbourne, but super-generous assumptions don't change the payback much.

Kendalf likes this.
  23. I have 6.35 kW solar on my roof, on a day that is super sunny and clear all day I can get 40-45 kWh. When I look at the roof of this car, about 2 of my 19 panels would fit there. But those panels would be more efficient since mine are 4 years old. Even so, I'm guessing the most you could get from that would be around 4 kW in one day and that might be generous b/c my panels are tilted toward the sun and the ones on the roof of the car would not be. I think more likely, a very clear sunny day might get you around 2.5 - 3.5 kW. Which is maybe enough for 12-16 miles in optimal conditions; nowhere near 37 miles/60 km

Domenick and AlexAnnecy like this.