Ioniq 5 - Range of RWD vs range of AWD in ECO mode

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by MSimpsonNJ, Apr 3, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

I haven't even picked up my I5 yet and I'm already experiencing a tad bit of buyer's remorse LOL.

That's an exaggeration, but I am wondering. I chose the RWD because the additional 50 miles is significant and important to me. I do longer drives with some regularity and I traded in my Kona EV because of the longer range and faster charging of the I5. But I do think that the RWD I5 is not as peppy as the Kona and I really loved that quickness and fear i am going to miss it. So I'm wondering if the 256 mile range of the AWD I5 is based on a mode other than ECO mode (Normal or Sport) and if I drove it in ECO mode, which I understand shuts off the front motor above a certain speed, would it come close to the 303 mile range of the RWD. Does anyone know of any consumption tests done for this or have any first hand knowledge?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ITown

ITown Active Member

My understanding is the Kona EV and Ioniq 5 RWD have similar acceleration numbers - so I don't think it should be a step down.

Anyway, Kyle from Out of Spec Reviews did a 70 mph range test on the Ioniq 5 AWD (SEL). He ran the test in eco mode and got a range of 227 miles.

4. I have the Kona and I5 RWD. The Kona is one second faster to 60 MPH. It is noticably quicker. The I5 is quick enough to leave ICE cars way behind. The Kona will squeel tires is you do not accelerate evenly. The RWD I5 will not.

More range is something I had to have for my regular road trips. There will be cold, rainy days. I ran the numbers. For some trips, I'd have to limit hwy speed to reach a charging station.

electriceddy likes this.
  5. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

Thanks ITown - this and some other things I have read are giving me comfort thst the RWD is the right move. I need the higher range more than i need the thrill of rocket acceleration (unfortunately) ;) The video was very informative.

Mark

ITown likes this.
  6. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

Thanks Christian - I'm with you on this. I think I'm making the right choice for me and can't wait to pick it up. So are you seeing the 303 mile range that the RWD is supposed to get?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. DaveR

DaveR New Member

I have been using I-pedal for the last 2 charges and my average went up. I'm getting 4.9 mi/kwh average per charge. I was getting 3.9 leaving it a Level 3. This is mostly to the office and back home. No freeway driving but the main road speed limits are 50 to 55. We live in Carlsbad California so the drive to and from work has some large hills. I only charge to 80% and get around 290-300 miles.

9. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

Thanks Dave - do you have RWD or an AWD?

I picked up my RWD SEL last night and got to play around with it. I definitely made the right choice. It's still super quick and I don't perceive much difference in quickness from the Kona, if at all. I'm sure there may be times in the winter when I will wish I had AWD and maybe the battery heater, but living in New Jersey I expect they will be the exception. The range is going to be great and that was my number 1 issue. Super happy.

insightman likes this.
  10. DaveR

DaveR New Member

RWD SEL. I also haven't been using the AC as it has been cooler temps here until this week.

11. The GOM range is 280 but my typical driving is more highway than city and is higher speed.
    I do frequent road trips. These get about 160 mi. range driving 75 to 85 MPH.

electriceddy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. danrjones

danrjones Active Member

You are only getting 160 miles with a RWD I5 on the freeway? That's substantially less than the results Kyle Conner got with the AWD on his freeway range test?

Or is the 160 miles the 20 to 80%, so essentially stopping every 2 hours on a road trip?

I've always thought that a 20 to 80% range is the key for mass adoption, but the range depends on where you live. I'd really like 250 to 300 miles within that 20-80% at freeway speed. YMMV.

14. That's 10 to 80% and 80 to 85 MPH. TX highways have high limits.

15. danrjones

danrjones Active Member

Ok that makes a bit more sense, though that still means a 230 mile freeway range. This is why, when I hear people say that EVs don't need more than about 300 miles of range, I can't help but disagree. In remote parts of the West, areas with terrain, we need a lot more than 160 miles at highway speeds. There are areas of the west with more than 160 miles between towns!

16. Yeah. The details matter. I don't doubt the car will take me 303 miles blended City/HWY.

danrjones likes this.
  17. CapeCodI5

CapeCodI5 Member

When I picked up my I5 on March 9th, Massachusetts was still experiencing a lot of cold weather. Many days we didn't get out of the 30's. Now, just over a month later, we're seeing days in the high 50's and mid 60's and I think I'm already seeing a difference in range. I rarely take the car out of Eco mode and try not to have a heavy foot. I drove about 65 miles yesterday (@ 60° and a mix of city and hiway) and my projected range only dropped from 83% to 71%.

I've also noticed that using the Climate Control makes a big difference. Just turning it on can cause my range to drop by 5 -10 miles.

18. elconquistador

elconquistador New Member

What difference does the wheel size make?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

19. Larger diameter rims are wider and heavier. Larger tires are wider and create more rolling resistance. This takes more energy to keep moving. The AWD is heavier too. The AWD has more power and the motors take more energy to move the vehicle through the same EPA test procedure. 256 miles AWD vs. 303 miles RWD

20. elconquistador

elconquistador New Member

I appreciate that. The relatively small increase in weight in EV weight of the vehicle does not seem to be a big influence.

I would love to see some data on wheel weight, all else equal. On wheel/tire aerodynamics both CG and frontal area.

I am coming from a slightly different angle. I have a GV60 advanced with 20" wheels. It is slightly heavier than an Ionic 5 AWD. The range is 8 miles less. But I am not sure if the EPA number for the ionic is on 19 or 20. If it is 19 it could be the wheels that make most of the difference.

On the tesla M3 18 to 20" takes off around 40 miles.

For ride quality reasons alone I want to put 19"s on. If I can add range then even better.

But it would need to be aero wheels with the quiet ride tires. So I would keep an eye out for Ionic 5 takeoffs.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

21. EPA testing has City driving blended in. Weight has a big impact starting off the line but not so much on Highways. Highway driving is 75 to 80 MPH for road trips. Once you get up to speed, weight is almost negligible. Highway driving is when range matters. Those 20" tires are wider than 19", have more friction, and cost you about 3 to 5% in range. Definitely get EV friendly tires for low rolling resistance. The foam inside is a plus to reduce noise.

AWD HI 5 256 like range is limited with 20" wheels. RWD 19" SEL gets 303 miles.

You need to compare 75+ MPH range (consumption) numbers for real world road trip expectations. The Ioniq 5 RWD SEL with EPA range 303 will do at least 210 miles at 80 MPH. EV6 Wind RWD will go at least 220 miles at that speed.

22. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I hadn't heard about foam in tires. When I read this I imagined someone hooking up a can of aerosolized foam to the tire valve and filling the inside. Then I thought about the poor tire-store employees who had to deal with this kind of foam along with the liquid tire-repair goop some people use. I was barking up the wrong tire.
    upload_2022-8-26_17-9-39.png

European tire sellers post the rolling efficiency of each tire they carry--too bad that doesn't happen over here, too.

23. It is a solid foam strip glued to the tire. Nokians are a great brand and have some models for EVs.