Ioniq 5 charge at Tesla supercharger?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by SevereJ, Jan 29, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. SevereJ

SevereJ New Member

Hey all, I'm a complete newb and want to figure out if I can make it to and from a location 150 miles away without Electrify America chargers anywhere in the vicinity (Wisconsin north of Green Bay). There are Tesla destination chargers and superchargers in the vicinity that I could hit and I'm a bit unclear from looking around the internet whether I could charge there safely/effectively.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Christopher Beer

Christopher Beer New Member

The Ionic 5 uses the CCS plugs. Most Tesla chargers use NACS plugs. You cannot use a Tesla Super Charger with the Ioniq 5 unless it is a "Magic Dock". The Magic Dock Tesla Super Chargers have both NACS and CCS plugs. There will be adapters available soon, so you can charge a CCS vehicle (like the Ionic 5) at the NACS chargers (most Tesla stations). But I believe being able to buy them is still a ways off.

See this video for more info about the Magic Dock: .

electriceddy and SevereJ like this.
  4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

@Christopher Beer is right. If you want a fast, DC charge from Tesla, you need to find one of Tesla's ultra-rare Magic Dock charging stations--and have the Tesla app loaded and working on your phone so you can arrange to pay for your charge.

However, you can get a Tesla-to-CCS adapter to charge your Ioniq 5 at one of Tesla's 240-Volt AC, Level 2, "Destination chargers."
    If you're lucky, you might find a hotel that has a Tesla Destination Charger. You should plan on getting a room nearby where you can stay overnight while that 240-Volt current trickles slowly into your Ioniq 5.

5. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

Have you used charging station maps to find out if there are other brands of DC fast chargers available on your route?

electriceddy and insightman like this.
  6. Keith Smith

Keith Smith Active Member

This would be a Tesla to J1772 not Tesla to CCS. Destination chargers are AC not DC. These are relatively inexpensive ~ $100 on Amazon. Just use Plugshare and plan your route with something more sane. More often than not a Hotel is going to be J1772, some have both. You can pretty much DCFC anywhere in the US these days if you pay attention.in

150 miles is no even a problem. My Niro will go 150 miles in the rain. Be real.

insightman likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Thanks for correcting my mistake.

9. Keith Smith

:) If the connectors were not so kooky. . . J1772 was actually fine, they punched it up to 120A at some alpha rev that never saw the light of day, and frankly there is nothing that prevents it from conducting 277v, it's all about the on-board charging systems, and allowing for DCFC. I keep a NACS to J1772 in the car whenever I travel! I've never had to use it.

Back to the OP's query, 150mi should not be a problem, and to your point, when you get there just find a place to plug-in. I go to Show Low ~179 mi. There is a DCFC there, but I sometimes stay at a cabin with a 110v outlet. I use a 110v evse and slow it down to 1KW (9A ish). Keeping it plugged in whenever I'm at the cabin, over the course of the 2-4 days that gives me drive-around juice, and enough extra to coast back down the mountain to home without stopping. As you get more familiar with how far you can actually go it's easier.

I also swapped the abysmal EVSE they give you for a cheapo L2 120/240v 20A (Not 16) variable rate EVSE, with all the adaptors/gender benders for the various plugs you might run into. 240v/20A = 4800KW, which will best case pretty much charge you up in 10-12 hours if you can find a circuit that will run it. I like the 20A units because they usually ship with a NEMA 6-20 plug which is easier to handle, and if I do break it out, I'm really only looking for an emergency charge, or I'm overnight/extended somewhere and likely to be able to stay plugged in for an extended period at a cabin or someones home where I can tap into the golf-cart charging plug or something.

Think back to when you were broke, and you knew exactly how low the needle could go before you had to put gas in your car. . . Now that you are older, you still kinda know, because you fill up full with 12gal in a 16gal tank, and the needle was right there, ahh I can go lower in a pinch if I'm in a hurry and don't have time to hit the station,... Same song except the car is really giving you more information, and a better estimate. ;)

insightman likes this.
  10. Keith Smith

Looks like there are a smattering of DCFC's north of Green Bay. Plugshare is your friend.

upload_2024-2-2_7-6-23.png

11. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

If the OP’s trip is an out and back in the same day and doesn’t come near any of the scattered DCFC locations, the trip is not feasible, especially in the winter. There’s a lot of work to be done in the northern tier of states to make winter EV long distance trips viable.

insightman likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.