Ioniq 5 beats Tesla M3 in safety tests

Discussion in 'General' started by R P, Aug 17, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Moderator edit* Video of the crash tests can be seen in this thread in the Hyundai Ioniq 5 subforum.

The Ioniq 5 and Tesla M3 are the most popular EV sales cars in Korea at this time. The govt Transportation Safety authority tested them both and these are the results.
    https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/2021/08/17/business/industry/Ioniq-5-Model-3-Safety/20210817171100401.html
    The driver assist and collision avoidance systems on the Ioniq 5 turned out to be superior to Tesla's driver assist and collision avoidance systems (Autopilot). That was the main difference. Doesn't surprise me given the many reported failures of Tesla's driver assist systems, and now with a US govt formal investigation underway.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what the government is going to investigate. Tesla's autopilot no longer uses radar. So it's a completely different system.

bwilson4web likes this.
  4. Not sure if the newest M3's tested there used radar or cameras. But regardless the Tesla's driver assist (autopilot) safety systems tested inferior to the new Ioniq 5.

5. marshall

If they didn't test is with the camera setup, then the test is outdated.

bwilson4web likes this.
  6. When exactly did Tesla start producing M3s with the new cameras? In any case, would take Tesla a while to refine/develop their change to cameras before they prove to be up to industry top standards.

As an aside, Subaru has been using dual front stereo cameras for about 10 years now for their driver assist safety systems, and refining them every year. They have been the leaders in safety as per the insurance institute tests for many years now. Tesla has always been lagging in that respect, and no reason to expect them to take the lead any time soon.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. marshall

May 2021 was date at which Tesla dropped radar.

bwilson4web likes this.
  9. Mark Richards

Mark Richards Member

But didn't Tesla change the software in older M3s to only use cameras too ? So it would be the same system in an older car. Or am I remembering wrong ?

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Tesla switched from HW 2.5 to 3.0 around April 2020.

Bob Wilson

11. marshall

In June, iihs tested Autopilot without radar and reinstated the Top Safety rating they had pulled earlier.

I don't know when the Korean test was done. Maybe you can find out.

bwilson4web likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. bwilson4web

Kinda moot for a USA buyer as our IONIQ is not numbered. The EPA specs at fueleconomy.gov are weaker than the market leader Model 3.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
  14. marshall

I believe the IONIQ 5 is coming next year. It's a bit confusing since they currently sell an IONIQ without the number.

Anyhow, the Korean test is only current until Tesla makes an update, providing the Tesla was tested without radar.

bwilson4web likes this.
  15. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

Now I do not know anything about the tests, or the Korean standards authority etc. But, generally the local manufacturer is able to influence the standards and testing criteria. Again, I am not saying that it is biased, but I would like see other points of data.

16. bwilson4web

Source: https://www.caranddriver.com/hyundai/ioniq-5
    • Available forward-collision warning and automated emergency braking
    • Available lane-departure warning and lane-keeping assist
    • Available adaptive cruise control
    If they used the word "Standard", I would not wonder if this is an extra cost option. In contrast, the Model 3 has Autopilot as a standard. Tesla Full Self Driving (FSD) is an option but ties navigation to the driver assist and other advanced parking options. We'll see when the IONIQ 5 arrives.

Bob Wilson

marshall likes this.
  17. marshall

It's pretty sad that safety features are too often only available on the top of the line model.

bwilson4web likes this.
  18. Tesla has a very poor track record with their marketing hype about autopilot and FSD. Now the chickens are coming home to roost.
    https://www.theregister.com/2021/08/19/us_ftc_probe/#:~:text=Despite Musk’s insistence that Tesla vehicles are close,be prepared to take over at any time.
    https://www.carindigo.com/news/tesla-officially-admits-that-its-fsd-technology-is-a-sae-level-2-system
    And just recently had to replace their radar with front cameras (like other auto makers use) for their autopilot, to try and fix their problems. This does not help their already low credibility, and no reason to believe they have fully fixed their autopilot at this time.

And just today, Musk rolls out another recruiting video (losing too many engineers these days) with another promise. He is a great visionary and marketer, but the reality is often very different, and at best very late.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnkoetsier/2021/08/20/tesla-bot-elon-musk-reveals-humanoid-tesla-robot-which-is-apparently-not-a-joke/?sh=24eb0f8057c3
    But am sure the fanbois will eat it all up...

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  19. marshall

The Ioniq 5 uses radar. Are they going in the wrong direction?

https://www.hyundai.com/worldwide/en/company/newsroom/hyundai-ioniq-5-redefines-electric-mobility-lifestyle-0000016626

IONIQ 5’s Highway Driving Assist 2 (HDA 2) makes highway driving more convenient. Using front view camera, radar sensors, and navigation data, HDA 2 works to control the vehicle speed and following distance, while keeping the vehicle centered in its lane. It can also assist the driver when changing a lane.

20. Hyundai uses everything, where it works best. The problem with Tesla is that it was NOT using cameras for their autopilot, and only radar.

21. marshall

22. bwilson4web

This is inaccurate. Both vision and radar were (are) being used in my 2019 Model 3. I can tell the radar is still in use because of the fantom braking events. I am thinking about putting an aluminum foil radar block over the front to verify it stops the fantom braking events. Regardless, we ran a 150 mile errand yesterday using Autopilot all the way:
    • Huntsville AL to Shelbyville TN
    • to Lewisburg TN and I-65
    • to Ardmore AL
    • to Huntsville AL
    The standard Autopilot worked flawlessly including kicking out of lane following when I was looking at the map and forgot to torque the steering wheel. We've been using Autopilot since March 26, 2019. There have been two incidents and both occurred when Autopilot was not enabled.

So does the IONIQ 5 come with a standard driving assistance package equivalent to Autopilot? You know, the IONIQ 5 that is not available in the USA.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021