Intro-Tech sunshield review

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by KClark, Jul 25, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. KClark

KClark Active Member

One of the things I've really appreciated about this forum is hearing first hand experience about products so here is my contribution. I recently bought an Intro-Tech premium folding sunshade from Amazon, part number HD-98-P. It's been hot here in LA, over 100 the last few days, and my car sits outside in a parking lot all day. I usually get off mid afternoon and even with the windows cracked open it can get very hot, so I decided to get a sunshade. There aren't too many of them specifically made for Clarities out there, I'm aware of the Intro-Tech and a Weathertech which I can't find for sale on Amazon. I confined my search to Amazon since I had some rewards dollars to spend.

There are three different models at Amazon, this one is stiff and folded accordion style that is silver on both sides and sells for about $38. They have a roll up style for a dollar more, I didn't buy it because I thought that style might not be as rigid and be prone to sagging. They have a third accordion style that is $49 and has a silver side and a gray side for use in winter.

The claim of it being custom fit to a Clarity falls short. The length and width are good, it covers up to all of the windshield edges, but the cutout for the sensor camera is generic and does not fit at all. The cutout is a wide notch that is symmetric around the center of the shade, even though the camera sensor is not centered on the windshield. That leaves some large gaps at the top of the windshield. So for coverage I'd give it a B-.

More concerning is the construction. The Amazon page has a diagram showing 7 layers of mylar, foam cushion, fiber layer, and thermal board, but honestly it feels like corrugated cardboard covered with mylar. If someone handed it to me and asked me how much it cost I'd guess $15, it feels cheap. I'm not sure how it will hold up with daily use.

But the good news is a dramatic reduction in the greenhouse effect I feel from the dash area under the windshield. When I get in the car on a very hot day, even though the AC is strong and effective, I can always feel wafts of hot air moving out from the overheated windshield area for a long time after I enter the car. The shade eliminates that heat reservoir and allows the AC to work more efficiently.

All in all I'd rate this a C.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    Mowcowbell and Lurker2019 like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Clarity_Newbie

Clarity_Newbie Active Member

KClark

Thanks for the review. Since the Weathertech n Intro-Tech shades perform virtually the same...I will add the the Weathertech fits the Clarity very well. Construction seems solid.

Many shade choices out there so nice to have a review to help others.

4. KClark

KClark Active Member

It’s funny that I’ve been using this shade for several days but it’s only on the day that I post this review that I discover something significant. The shade has 6 main panels, four of them are pretty flimsy and are the ones that I had handled and considered to be mylar covered cardboard. But 2 panels are much stiffer and more substantial, if the entire shade had all 6 panels made like these two I would consider it to be higher quality and worth $38 dollars.

5. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

Intro-Tech, AFAICT, sells "custom" shades to the dealers. I ordered mine at the service department and it is properly fit around the camera. The ones on Amazon are likely generic.

6. KClark

KClark Active Member

Well the notch certainly looks generic, but the Amazon web page and the packing slip both clearly state it is for a Clarity.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. 2002

2002 Well-Known Member

The diagram on the Amazon site shows this for the HD-98-P:

Intro-Tech HD-98-P.PNG

The Inro-tech website gives a little better explanation for it:

Intro-Tech HD-98-P 2.png

The top model HD-98-R has six layers apparently on all panels so is presumably the same stiffness for all panels, although a bit pricier at $49

You may want to contact Intro-Tech and let them know about the mirror cutout, they probably didn't have an actual Clarity to check it against. Although according to petteyg359 the cutout on the one that he got from the dealer is correct, maybe the stock on Amazon is an older one? If they have a new pattern they will probably send you a replacement.

Also make sure they know that Clarity doesn't use the same windshield as Civic, in case they got their info from Safelite :eek:

9. Lurker2019

Lurker2019 New Member

I have the top model (HD-98-R Silver Ultimate Reflector) that I bought off Amazon for $49 and the material is OK. It's nowhere near the stiffness of a Covercraft laminate sun shade and feels a bit flimsy by comparison. However, this shade does do a good job of keeping the heat away under the hot Southern California sun (I would give it an A on heat reduction).

My main issue with this Intro-Tech shade is the fit. Unlike KClark, I didn't have a huge problem with the center space cutout because it provides enough room for my dash cam to fit, which is a huge plus. However, the shade seems to be a little bit short on the horizontal width and I got a small gap at one side's edge depending on how I position the shade. See pictures below for the fit:

Shade 1.jpg Shade 2.jpg Shade 3.jpg Shade 4.jpg Shade 5.jpg Shade 6.jpg

Due to this poor fit, I would rate this one as a C overall. $49 for a shade that only fits 90% is a bummer. If I didn't have this horizontal width issue, I would rate it a solid B+ or A-. Too bad Covercraft doesn't make a sun shade for Clarity. I really like the one they made for my wife's SUV.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  10. AnthonyW

AnthonyW Well-Known Member

So I got tired of not being able to find one that fit so I went this route. Will never need a interior shade again. Plus it will be very useful in the winter:

OxGord Windshield Snow Cover Ice Removal Wiper Visor Protector All Weather Winter Summer Auto Sun Shade for Cars Trucks Vans and SUVs Stop Scraping with a Brush or Shovel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AOHYT50/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ZQToDbBF9C7NG

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

11. KClark

KClark Active Member

I don't have a huge problem with it, I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear. What I said is, for a shade that is advertised as custom fit for a Clarity it falls short. I'm glad you posted your photos because they show a center cutout just like mine. But like you, I also said that the lack of a truly custom fit doesn't impede the primary purpose which is to block light and heat. My biggest concern is the quality of the construction, it doesn't match the price.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. ab13

ab13 Active Member

I got an Intro Tech rolling screen for a different model years ago. It fits well, and I got it from HandA Honda online store. The rolling one is probably different, but it feels premium.

14. Lurker2019

Lurker2019 New Member

Agreed. This sun shade is definitely overpriced (whether your version or mine). Too bad the custom sun shade options for Clarity are so limited.

15. ab13

ab13 Active Member