Interesting Charging observation on 50kw charger

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FloridaSun, Oct 1, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Interesting observation on a 50kw charger today.. I started my charging session at high SoC to see if it effects the charging curve... and it does.. Battery Cooling did NOT come on during the session and I was charging at full speed until 79.5% SoC and it stayed at 35kw to 38kw from 79.5 to almost 82%.. The rest of the session stayed around 24kwh speed
    290 mile estimated range at 90%.. not bad after 37k miles.. No signs of any degradation.
    charging-oct1.jpg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. So starting at about 32°C and adding 8kWh while at near 50kW. Just to be a Sheldon, I'd estimate 161 Wh of cumulative battery losses in that 50kW region. That's 8,000 x (1-sqrt(.96)). I would guess thermal mass is at play here.

Regarding SoH, how's the buffer looking between SoC displayed and SoC BMS?

4. FloridaSun

Last time I charged to 100%, it was still at 96.5% SoC BMS.
    Today, I actually charged twice on a 50kw charger. The first charge was from 18 to 90% and the 2nd charge was from 72.5% to 90% (drove over 200 miles today). On my first charge, battery cooling came on in the middle of the session and stayed on until the end. Charge Power dropped at 76% to 35kw and to 24kw at 78%.
    On the 2nd session, it dropped to 35kw at 79.5% and to 24kw at 81.5%

5. FloridaSun

So, I just finished charging to 100% to check my buffer and I lost another 0.5% of the buffer. At 100% SoC Display, I'm now at 97% BMS.
    On a new Kona, it's probably between 94.5% to 95.0% SoC BMS at 100% SoC. So, I lost 2 to 2.5% in just over 37k miles/60k km. This would mean about 20% degradation at 370k miles if degradation is linear which it is not. It usually slows down after an initial drop.. Still got 3% buffer remaining before my range will start dropping. 326 mile/522 km range at 100%.
    I'll create a separate post on this as I think that this is interesting information..

6. I don't run Torque Pro yet but I too ran a range test today after charging to 100%. (The only way I can keep track without an app at this point)
    After lowering the SOC to just under 87% by driving 83.3 km after a full charge, that would put my range at 595 km (based at 86% remaining). Conditions were 19 C, dry roads and kept my speed to 92 km per hour, average consumption 125 W/km. Just over 12K kms on the odo.
    At this point I am not concerned, but will get a true reading when I get the app (and a phone) after the car is paid off, hopefully in the spring ... toy time:)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
  7. To remove this ad click here.