Interesting charging observation in cold weather (Florida cold)

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FloridaSun, Dec 23, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Charged early morning today. We just had a cold front come through, so the temperature was in the mid to upper 40's (between 7 and 9 C) which is cold for Florida standards.
    Car was at 7.5% (lowest SoC that I ever hit) and I charged all the way to 90% on a 50kw charger. Charged a total of 54.52kwh. It took a while for the battery to warm up to 77F and after that, temperature kept on rising until the battery max temperature was 105.8 F. Usually, the battery cooling comes on at 98.6 F but it seems that in cold temperatures, this is different.. It might also depend on the average battery temp which was lower as the coolest module was significantly cooler than the hottest one.. Once cooling kicked in, it cooled down the battery pretty quickly..

charging-dec23.jpg

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Was the cooling using AC or just the radiator?

4. FloridaSun

Based on the energy draw, I believe that it was with AC... but there is no way to tell for sure as there is no sensor that I know of that shows if the AC is active..

5. Well, the Climate tab in the Power Use screen might tell you if it's not zeroed when it's used just for cooling the battery, I'm unsure myself. You would think that the battery would make use of the radiator first and perhaps that was already in play before the AC kicked in.

6. FloridaSun

You can't get to the Power Use Screen while charging, at least on the US version..

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

You could always feel around on the AC tubing underhood, and maybe hear the compressor
    running, to tell if AC is being brought on [assuming you're not using it for cabin comfort
    at the time]. Notably, near that little heat-exchanger block by the pax-side fenderwell.

_H*

9. FloridaSun

I heard something coming on but I'm not sure if it was just the water pumps or also the compressor.. I believe that it was the compressor but I don't know how to be 100% sure..

10. I've heard the coolant pump(s) switch on soon after starting DCFC (<15°C) and the noise is very subtle, just the faint sound of the coolant gurgling through the pipes at the start. I'd wonder if you can even open the hood during FC but I would have thought that the front electric fan would accompany the compressor.