Insurance rates

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by AL-B, Oct 10, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. AL-B

AL-B New Member

I just moved from TX to FL and my insurance rate jumped $400 every six months for a rate of about $800 semi-annually. I have insurance with USAA and have been a loyal customer for over 20 years. I also do not have any accidents within the past 10 years where my policy paid out and no speeding tickets in the past 4 years. I was told the price increase was due to FL being higher risk and the Clarity was brand new making parts and repair higher. I was wondering what others are paying for their insurance.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. jorgie393

jorgie393 Well-Known Member

4. AL-B

AL-B New Member

Thanks for the thread link!

5. jorgie393

jorgie393 Well-Known Member

Sure. Take particular note that at least two posters to that thread reported that their insurance companies had originally miscalculated rates as if the car were a Clarity Fuel Cell, not Clarity PHEV. The FC is nearly $60k.

6. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

If your insurance went up when you moved to a different state, it's not because of the Clarity, it's because of different insurance rates for other reasons. Insurance rates vary a lot between states and within a state due to differences in laws affecting insurance and due to different risks in different localities. On top of that you have the driver risk differences and vehicle repair differences to factor in. A change in rates just because you move can't be pinned on the Clarity and comparing rates with others on this forum won't give you useful information. If you're not happy with an rate increase, for sure get other quotes.

jorgie393 likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

My car insurance rates dropped 70% when I moved from CA to a rural PA. I'm sure it would at least triple if I moved back.

9. Robin

Robin Member

I recommend everyone (so long as you have no at-fault claims or moving violations) regularly call around for quotes (every couple years). I was an Allstate customer for over 10 years and switched to Geico and my cost dropped by over 20%.

This is not a recommendation for any particular carriers just a reference point.

10. Clarity_Newbie

Clarity_Newbie Active Member

AL-B...as a point of reference...the cost to insure the Clarity for 6 months is within a few dollars of what it costs to insure our Toyota 2017 Rav4 Hybrid for 6 months.

Like another poster stated...rates vary widely by state.

Good luck!