Installed Bavsound ghost subs… they’re great but I caused a restraint system error

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by moncureww, Jun 29, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. moncureww

moncureww Active Member

So I installed the Bavsound ghost subs in my 2023 SE, but I tripped the restraint system and now I get an error code because I accidentally turned on the car before the underseat plugs were reconnected. Is there a fast and easy way to reset the codes myself? Can I have Mini do it remotely or do I go to the dealer?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

MINI can send updates for the NAV, but I don' t believe there's any way to remotely reset error codes. Did you try reconnecting the OEM subs to see if the error code goes away?

4. moncureww

moncureww Active Member

It’s not the subs; I believe the ignition was turned on when the seat electrical harnesses were unplugged by accident. They are completely plugged in and snapped closed now. The car registers when I buckle my seatbelt but it is still throwing the error.

5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

It's strange that the code wouldn't reset after you reconnected the seat plugs. Why make extra work for the mechanics?

moncureww likes this.
  6. moncureww

moncureww Active Member

I don’t know. I’m just not looking forward to paying 150 extra dollars for them to clear a code for something so simple.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Try having an automotive parts store read/clear the codes? Many of them do that for free.

JonR, F14Scott and moncureww like this.
  9. moncureww

moncureww Active Member

Good advice. I think I’m just gonna run by the dealer and ask them for a favor and say hey look I didn’t know if I unplug the seats an error would pop up. I’m gonna try to talk to the service guys and see if they can help out and if they’re going to charge me I’ll just go get a code reader at the auto parts store and see if they can reset it for me.

10. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

You can buy a bluetooth OBD port reader for $15 and use one of many apps that can clear codes.

Save the dealer jamborees for the big stuff, I always say.

Veepeak Mini Bluetooth OBD II Scanner for Android Only, Auto Check Engine Light Code Reader Diagnostic Scan Tool Supports Torque Pro, OBD Fusion, Car Scanner App https://a.co/d/6Jt66fG

Screenshot_20220629-221834_Amazon Shopping.jpg

11. moncureww

moncureww Active Member

I've heard that restraint/airbag fault codes have to be cleared by the dealer - from just a couple of places online. Is there anything specific that will clear this code app wise if I get a code reader?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

I have a cheap OBD reader that I used extensively with my last few ICE cars and the Torque Pro app to both measure performance and, on occasion, clear codes.

I've never even tried it in the MINI, so I can't answer your question.

One thing that occurred to me, though, is that if you ever want to play with the brains of your MINI, you'll use the app BimmerCode. It has certain, preferred OBD readers:

https://www.bimmercode.app/adapters/

14. moncureww

moncureww Active Member

I just ordered a bimmerlink / bimmercode compatible dongle. Fascinating - bimmerlink is the #4 paid iPhone app in the App Store. I also reached out to bimmerlink support and asked if they could clear my specific code, and from reading their website and various support forums, it looks like bimmerlink and my iphone may be the best mid to long term solution (I do like taking the seats out when I clean my car from time to time, like once a year or so), and I also plan on doing a few mods and upgrades where I don't want to deal with the dealer service department to clear or read codes. Also I like to get a good idea of what's going on if I get a fault rather than leaving it a mystery until i get to the dealer. Anyway, we'll see how the the dongle/bimmer-app stuff does.

F14Scott likes this.
  15. methorian

methorian Well-Known Member

I'd recommend bimmercode anyways to turn off annoying start-up warnings! I have the veepeak bluetooth adapter, which works okay, but takes forever to read the system and apply coding via bimmercode. Recently purchased this ethernet ODB adapter and a lightning to ethernet adapter (both on bimmercodes list of supported adapters) and it's almost instant readings/coding (plus supports some newer BMW vehicles like my partners X5).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V3C47YD?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Out of curiosity - How are the bavsound ghost subs? Did you have base audio or harmon-kardon?

I used the Bavsound speaker upgrade in my i3 with base audio and it was night and day. My SE has HK system, which is decent, but I'd like a little more from the subs. I had put a smaller powered sub in the i3, but with space constraints in the SE I'm not sure i'd want to do that.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
  16. moncureww

moncureww Active Member

I had the base stereo system. It's noticeable for sure, clearer and more punchy lows. But I only installed the subs. I got the four other speakers for the doors and rear-panels, and I plan to install the door panels over the weekend. That's where, before they've been installed, I notice some distortion from the stock system. I think that's going to be the biggest change IMO.

17. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

Autozone and O'Reilly's do this for free. They will gladly clear the code for you.

18. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    I know in a Mercedes or smart it has to be done in Star/DAS/Xentry. A normal code reader won’t clear it.

19. Alf_W

Alf_W Active Member

Please come back and report your impressions after the install. Very interested in your assessment of the improvement with Bavsound.

moncureww likes this.
  20. moncureww

moncureww Active Member

So I installed the subs and they really do feel like they need a break in period. After about three hours on the road today listening to music they feel like they really broke in, and my car has a much fuller sound. I have not installed the door and panel speakers yet, but my son and I noticed that it was actually a tremendous difference in sound quality versus the base stock system. The install was extremely easy, And my friend and I are gonna do the door speakers this weekend. I’m probably gonna leave the rear speakers for the fall when the weathers cool outside and I can give myself a day to carefully take things off and remove them. After installing the subs I noticed that the stock door speakers were definitely lacking. Overall I’m very pleased and it was very easy and the only thing it did was inspire me to get a Bimmercode setup.

Wreckless117 and Alf_W like this.
  21. moncureww

moncureww Active Member

I went by AutoZone today and the guy behind the counter told me the only thing he would clear were check engine codes. So bimmercode it is.

22. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Not sure BimmerLink will work on the SE; EVs aren’t required to use the OBDII-CAN protocols.

23. moncureww

moncureww Active Member

I don’t think it works for everything, but the developer/owner of BimmerLink emailed me and said that it should work based on his experience. I guess we’ll see tomorrow night! He said if the issue was clear and it’s not a repeating code I should be able to clear it. It looks like the issues not repeating because it notices that I’m buckling in my seatbelt and such.

SameGuy likes this.