Increased battery life!!

Discussion in 'Volt' started by mhead110, Jul 1, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. mhead110

mhead110 New Member

2018 Volt (I don't drive much-- 15 k + miles in 4 1/2 years -- BUT I've only put gas in 6 times, so, yes, I do plug it in-- )

Strangely enough, while for the first 4+ years, I would get 45+ miles in the (cold New England) winter on a charge and 55+ in the summer-- recently, in the last few months, the full charge reading is 60-70+ miles.

Does anyone have any idea why? I'm not complaining, mind you, but it does seem very strange that a battery develops more charging capacity over time!!

I have observed / compared the decrease in charge while driving, compared to miles driven, and it seems to be accurately showing the charge. Perhaps some kind of remote programming change?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. did you happen to get new tires or were roads repaved in your area?

4. mhead110

mhead110 New Member

Nebula— no, and no, and even if there were those changes, I don’t see how that would affect what the full charge says when I unplug it in the morning. (Unless it learns from my driving habit).

I believe it started about a month ago, and I monitored it as described on the second or third time. I haven’t checked a full trip, because when I’ve gone any distance, I’ve changed over to gas when I’m on the highway, but maybe the next time I do a longer trip, I’ll skip the gas and check the full trip distance versus the elapsed/changed electric miles left.

I was wondering if there might’ve been some kind of a software update that made the battery more efficient. That would be nice. But I suppose there’s also a chance that there’s.

5. mhead110

mhead110 New Member

whoops... a chance that there's some undiagnosed problem...

6. the GOM adapts to driving conditions, weather, and your driving habits and will go up and down reflecting that.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. mhead110

mhead110 New Member

Thanks, Nebula, I understand that, but it does seem wierd that for 4 + years the estimates have been remarkably consistent, and suddenly they change. With no remarkable change of weather or driving habits. today was another twist. Started at 72 miles ; drove about 4 miles total (didn't measure, estimate) and now down to 58 !

9. mhead110

mhead110 New Member

re above, no special use of electrical equipment, no air cond. use.

10. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

The big question is: Did your actual EV range increase to match your GOM's newly optimistic predictions? Your 72-to-58 mile jump in 4 miles seems to point the finger at a faulty GOM.

11. Did your car ever exhibit a condition where it would read full charge but 0 miles? Did you ever have your BECM replaced?

12. To remove this ad click here.