I'm selling Jessie (the SE)...

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by F14Scott, May 25, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

to my son!

He needs a good used car, and she'll be perfect for him, with her low mileage, new tires, and perfect condition. He, too, lives in Houston, and he's moving into an apartment complex with EV charging stations.

My wife fell in love with Tesla's new Ultra Red paint color, so she's getting a new S. (Holy crap, it does 0-60 in 3.1, as fast as my VF1000R Interceptor, back in the day.) That means I have to inherit her 2020 Model 3, dammit. Her commute is only a few miles, so the 3 has under 10K and still looks brand new.

It's been a pleasure hanging around this forum, and I don't plan on abandoning it, but changes are afoot! Perhaps I'll run up the miles (with my 64 mile RT commute) on the 3 in time for the new MINI SEs to make it to the USA. I have a feeling I'll need to come back for more Go-kart action.

wessy, GetOffYourGas, Lainey and 8 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. We have a few Mini Cooper SE owners moving on to different cars now. Hope you consider sharing some of your Tesla-driving thoughts on here occaisionally. As I mentioned to another member moving to the T brand, our Tesla owners group is small and posts may not get the same response as in the Mini subforum, but people still seek out good info and ownership experiences.

F14Scott and SameGuy like this.
  4. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

We took Jessie over to my son's new complex to try out the charger. It is a Chargepoint wall unit, mounted between two, dedicated EV parking spots in his indoor parking deck. Both were empty when we arrived.

I have a Chargepoint account, so all it took was for me to open the app and tap my phone to activate the unit. As soon as I did, we plugged in, and 5.6kW started flowing, which I assume was throttled because Jessie was already over 90% full.

The price was FREE!, which made my son even more happy. Pretty sweet setup; hopefully a sign of things to come for apartment dwellers everywhere.

5. fishbert

fishbert Well-Known Member

I have a feeling 2 spots is not going to be enough in the near future. Certainly at apartments, where people may be more likely to stay plugged in well beyond reaching full charge.

6. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Personally I think free charging for Level 2 and DCFC needs to be eliminated. I'm okay with a discounted price so that drivers who need the charge actually get to charge and there is some money to actually maintain the EVSE units.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ghost

ghost Active Member

I was heading back to the dealer w the loaner SE. The only charge station nearby was free in a parking structure. 9 out of 10 spots were taken by Teslas, w a Tesla supercharger directly across the parking lot.

I had no other choice than to return the loaner and incur any charge for not "filling it up". The loaner paperwork had cost for traditional gas tanks, but nothing regarding charge. I left home w 93%, it was 73% when I reached the dealer. They didn't even look when I returned it, luckily.

F14Scott and SameGuy like this.
  9. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

I used 1 of 6 (paid) level 2 chargers at a hotel a couple of weeks ago to charge our Tesla overnight as I arrived in under 10%.
    I could have used the Supercharger site across the street but then I’d have to sit in the car for 30 mins while it charged up to 80% vs going straight to my room and having 100% in the morning.
    However, that L2 site didn’t have overstay charges so 3 days later the Volt that was in there when I arrived was still there and hadn’t moved an inch.,,

10. sacharama

sacharama Active Member

Most free charging stations in the states are owned and maintained by municipalities that use part of their public works budget to do so.

In a way, the charging station is similar to a recycle program that encourages the adoption of sustainability in a sense. In my areas, the free chargers are repaired and well maintained.

On the other hand, there's an evgo charger (costs a premium) that's been out of service for months at a shopping mall and still hasn't been repaired.

Free charging does not automatically mean charging stations not receiving proper maintenance.

11. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

But free charging eliminates the monetary incentive to free up the charging stall for other EVs to use. EV drivers shouldn't need ANY incentive to help other EV drivers but...

Texas22Step and Pennyworth like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. sacharama

sacharama Active Member

I am not sure if I understand what you mean.

What does monetary incentive have anything to do with the availability of the charging stations?

Why would free charging cause the charging stations not being available for other evs?

The free charging stations are for anyone to use. Any EV can just plug it in and charge.

Why would anyone plug in their EV and just leave it there plugged in all day all night so other evs cannot use the station just because it's free?

And what are you referring to in regards to evs drivers helping each other? What difference does it make if a charging station is free or not in relation to evs drivers helping each other? And what kind of helping each other are you talking about?

I don't understand what you are saying.

14. insightman

Why? Because some people need a personal reason to unplug rather than simply a respect for the needs of others. On InsideEVs forums, there have been many reports of charging stations being occupied long after charging is complete.

Texas22Step likes this.
  15. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

The evidence I've seen is different from that, in my area most free Level 2 chargers are at businesses that offer the charging as an amenity for customers. I know having free L2 charging at certain grocery stores has changed my shopping habits.

sacharama likes this.
  16. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

In my area, the free 50kW fast chargers provided by the local utility company powered from coal and natural gas. Somewhat counter-intuitive for their green initiatives, but oh well.

17. sacharama

sacharama Active Member

But that has nothing to do with whether or not the charging station is free or with cost because people occupying a charging station after the EV is already charge full happens everywhere including station that cost to charge so once again I don't understand your point regarding the free station versus station that cost money

In addition many municipalities have some sort of penalty system such as maximum 4-hour charging and if you leave the car there beyond 4 hours they will give you citation and that is for free charging station

So I don't know where you get the idea that people would not do such a thing at a station that cost to charge that makes no sense whatsoever

Perhaps you're talking about the penalty factor meaning once your car is fully charged if you don't vacate the spot you will get some sort of monetary penalty and I agree that will be a good policy but that can be adopted and implemented to both free charging station as well as station that cost money in fact this is already happening in my town

Last edited: Jun 10, 2023
  18. sacharama

sacharama Active Member

We have free charging station that once your car is fully charged and you have 10 minutes grace period to unplug and remove your vehicle and if you don't you get a citation or you get charged $4 per hour idling fee

So the key is not to eliminate free charging but to implement idling fee

GetOffYourGas and MichaelC like this.
  19. sacharama

sacharama Active Member

Yes we have some of those too as well.

20. insightman

Exactly. Sorry I wasn't clear.

sacharama likes this.
  21. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

Yes, this is the monetary incentive someone posted about. Move your car when it's done or it will cost you money.

22. sacharama

sacharama Active Member

Incorrect.

That's not an incentive. That's a deterrent.

Incentive is reward based. Deterrent is penalty based.

Incentive is something that you gain by doing something. So, if you move your car as soon as it's fully charged, you get $5 as gift, that would be an incentive. An incentive to not taking up the spot.

Deterrent on the other hand is something you lose if you do or don't do something, In this case, if you move your car as soon as it's fully charged, you will not be fined. A deterrent for taking up the spot.

A tax credit for purchasing an EV is a monetary incentive to promote the adoption of sustainable transport.

A citation for speeding is a monetary deterrent for unsafe driving.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2023
  23. sacharama

sacharama Active Member

Not a problem.