I'm planning to import my SE into Canada this August (2021) - I'd appreciate your advice

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Darrell Smith, Jul 8, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Darrell Smith

Darrell Smith New Member

The process is arduous...
    I've never been through the US to Canada importation process, but we're moving to Canada next month, and my wife has demanded the SE goes with us. From what I can tell the SE won't be released in Canada until 2022. We'll have to pay GST on the value over $10K Canadian. Canadian Customs assesses the value based on what the vehicle sells for in Canada... I don't even know if this is possible... any insight or direction would be much appreciated...

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

Import it as an ICE Cooper S? Will they notice?

Good luck, this sounds difficult.

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Like the US SE, the Canadian SE was released in March, 2020--the first 100 cars delivered got a special "First Edition" designation/badge. Here's an ad I copied from the Canadian MINI website in 2019:

upload_2021-7-8_22-23-41.png

5. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

My suggestion would be to consider selling your SE state side and buying a new ‘22 Canadian SE.

If not, then consider using an established export/import vendor to handle both the export from US and import into CA.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

6. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

Dunno about BMW, but other manufactures drop the warranty coverage when you export to or import from Canada. From what I've read the move of cars permanently to/from Canada can be difficult and costly enough that selling here and buying there is a viable option and the common approach for daily drivers. The lighting requirements are different in Canada, which may be a software configuration thing that needs to be done.

The SE has been around in Canada for awhile now. A guy living it Toronto has been posting YouTube reviews.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Toi

Toi Well-Known Member

Use an importer. I've used www.crownrelo.com to move between Austria and the US, and they had knowledge specifically around the import/export of vehicles internationally.

GvilleGuy likes this.