If you're just enjoying the car

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by AlkiP0Ps, Jun 6, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. AlkiP0Ps

AlkiP0Ps New Member

Thought it might be fun to create a thread where owners just say it's been a hoot. No real issues, just what they had hoped, etc.
    I haven't clocked up much distance yet, but I really like it! Reading these forums I feel like either I was lucky, or the latest iteration really has all the problems ironed out.

Joev, Mattsburgh, Shark and 2 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I guess I am one of the lucky ones. My Hyundai Kona was produced late 2020 in the Czech republic plant, with a SKI battery and have none of these battery issues that are discussed. I am happy with my Kona. Yes, it has its shortcomings but that I knew when I bought it (luggage space, noise levels), but it is a lot of car and functionality for the money.

R P and AlkiP0Ps like this.
  4. I have a 2019, with the battery issue, and have had the motor and reduction drive replaced (clicking issue). But the car has been great otherwise, and actually like it more now than when I first got it. When I get the new battery it will be like setting the odometer back to zero, as other major components on an EV don't wear much (like an ICE car).

While I like the new Ioniq 5 so far (on paper), there is no compelling reason for me to replace my Kona. It's range is near the same, and still better than most new EVs coming on the market. The Kona size is perfect for us (we don't spend time in the back seats). And my wife loves driving it. What more can I ask for?!!

5. Jimct

Jimct Active Member

What's fun is imagining the thoughts going through the Corvette driver's mind when he's shut down by that little hatchback next to him after the light turns green. I also like never having to stop for yellow lights, lol.

6. Yes, I do that sometimes, too,...haha. I do not like smelly, noisy sports cars, and would rather have them behind me.

Mattsburgh likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

My 2020 ULTIMATE was built October 2019. I'm on the recall list & keep charging to 80% - which is no issue for me; I only charge about 1-2 times a month anyway. I STILL love this car. It is so fun to drive and so feature rich. The price was great after the FED Credit & State rebate. And the icing on the cake of a new BATTERY is going to be great. PS - report last week of a TESLA burning down someone's garage. And massive recall of the BOLT .. so these Recalls & growing pains are just part of this early adopter phase of EVs.. My service dept has made these (4?) campaigns easy for me - giving me rides home & washing my car each time.

R P likes this.
  9. I love my Kona too. When you consider that this is one of the first "real" electric cars to hit the road, you have to admit it was very well thought-out, and executed. It drives great, has plenty of power, is fun when you want it, and exceptionally frugal when needed. It even handles snow and ice easily (with snow tires). It has some quirks, but name even one or two ICE cars that don't! I still recommend the car to anyone considering an EV. The only cars becoming available now that offer any significant degree of improvement over the Kona fit into entirely different categories. The Mach-E is a sports SUV. The ID4 is a RAV4/CRV replacement. And Tesla's are...well...Teslas. Their proprietary charging network isolates them from real comparison with these cars anyhow. The only reason anyone compares these cars against each other is that there isn't anything else close yet. The Kona and the Bolt are really the only two cars that can reasonably be compared right now. And I have no regrets having chosen the Kona.

R P likes this.
  10. Myself and a friend both have 2019 Kona’s. Neither of us have had any issues with the cars. I just recently took the car on a 2500 mile road trip. No issues with charging or infrastructure. Great car!

R P likes this.
  11. Lisa Gordon

Lisa Gordon New Member

I was very excited about the Nissan Arriya coming this year as well (still am from an EV enthusiast perspective). I ultimately went with the Kona for 2 reasons: I decided the AWD version of the Arriya is most likely going to be a bit out of my comfort level for price range and I got a really good deal on my Kona and the financing on it.

I haven't gotten my Kona yet (take possession tomorrow afternoon) but the test drive was the most fun I have ever had driving a car lol. They actually gave me a 2021 ICE Kona trend 1.6T as a loaner yesterday until I pick up my car tomorrow and it's nice, but nowhere near as fun as the EV version.

electriceddy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

I have to completely disagree with statement “ this is one of first real electric cars. “

First real electric car was the Tesla Model S that came out in 2012.

The Kona is based on ICE design converted to EV. First “ real “ electric car from Hyundai is the Ioniq 5 because it is designed from the ground up as an EV .

I have not considered the Kona or Bolt , Nissan Leaf etc because they are FWD

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

GringoViejo likes this.
  14. I think what makes it a "real" electric car is its range. Better than many of the newest (BEV only) entrants. I really don't see any disadvantage of my Kona also having ICE versions. Maybe even an advantage as it shares more parts with its siblings, and dealers better able to maintain it.

15. Okay. I won't disagree with that point. In my mind it was the first real electric car that I felt I could purchase. It had the range, a local dealer, I could afford it, and I was able to test drive it multiple times. The Tesla was clearly first, but it just wasn't real for me personally.

Mattsburgh, FlexTail and R P like this.
  16. miatadan

Actually RP that is good point about sharing parts with siblings, that is an advantage.

I really do not look at range much as 95% of my driving is in the city and in worst case scenario, rent different car if needed huge range.

My preference for RWD is based on I owned 10 different RWD vehicles since having drivers license, only 1 FWD. Driving dynamics’s, feel are different between RWD and FWD.

I am one of those strange guys who would go for a drive with no special destination, just so I could put top down/ wind in hair stereo on cruising around.

Dan

17. By all official accounts the Kona EV and ICE cars were designed together from the ground up. The EV was not an "adapted" version of the ICE version. Frankly I don't see any compromises made. The Kona EV is 3 years old and is still market leading in range, features and price.

MSimpsonNJ and R P like this.
  18. Oh, that will change pretty quickly once you own your first BEV. I consider 400 km range the minimum for any EV. The Kona actually exceeds its EPA rating (415 kms) in real world tests while many others like Teslas do not. So yeah, I very much consider the Kona EV a very "real" electric car.

19. miatadan

Why is the minimum you feel to be 400 kms for EV? My 2019 Jetta Execline averaged 360kms between fuelling up ( 50L tank ) …

Some of my Mustang’s that had V8 engines ( city driving ) barely made it to 325 kms on 1 tank of gas.

Only car I had that sometimes got to 400kms to 1 tank was the Mazda Miata’s

Dan

20. First, as you know, you generally only charge to 80% and don't run it down past 20%. And there are NOT as many charging stations as there are gas stations. So with shorter range, more planning is needed for a trip.

Mattsburgh and electriceddy like this.
  21. miatadan

Yes, if going on a trip need some planning. In the summer I do go to Killarney ( sisters camp ) is 200kms return trip. From now on when I look at range advertised, will deduct 20% from that to get more accurate estimate of range.

Dan

22. Don't you ever drive to elsewhere in Canada? Even Ontario is pretty big.

23. miatadan

For work I have driven to Sault St Marie, Toronto, Timmin's, Barrie, North Bay, Parry Sound, Elliot Lake, Ottawa in awful Dodge Caravan installing home audio.

Personally driving my self , went to Mackinac Island ( past Sault Ste Marie in the US ) and Ottawa. 2 trips outside of Sudbury since driver’s license not including trips to sisters camp in Killarney.

Other travelling is by plane Germany, England, France, Finland, Ukraine, Russia etc.

When I was a kid, family drove to Halifax where my mom’s family is from and I was born in Halifax.
    Also one family trip in 1970’s to BC .

Dan