If it uses 'fuel' its not an EV and its not green- this won't change

Discussion in 'General' started by 101101, Dec 7, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. 101101

101101 Well-Known Member

Insideevs keeps making the stupidest comments like "BMW is a strong Tesla competitor" when BMW isn't even a viable brand anymore because of Tesla.

https://insideevs.com/news/458715/membraneless-fuel-cell-evs-use-ethanol/ I actually like Ruffo stuff because while he spins he does think or come up with interesting stuff but this is just the worst.

If it use a fuel (gas or liquid that has to be transported) its not an EV and its not green and it totally defeats the purpose of both. Saying these things are green is like saying a Dodge diesel coal roller is an EV because it has a 12V battery as part of its starter system. Think of the Hylion bs where it tries to say its carbon negative because it hides dirty natural gas behind dirty biofuels.

Biofuels might just be worse than hydrogen. If its not coming from ocean algae (and it won't) then its going to be eating into farm land or the lungs of the planet rain forrest and cutting into the water supply all to try to provide cover for the NG and the liquid and gas fuels transport network. Its going to drive up the cost of water and food and its expensive (very) and not green. Its going to increase the impact of climate instability and drive resultant wars. Its pure bs.

Replacing the fuels network with charging is radically cheaper than maintaining it. And of course a huge part of green and evs is getting rid of the money and power and corruption behind petrol and ending the useless criminal wars it causes.

Using charging in the developing world instead of fuels is a huge savings and accelerator. You can put PV on top of a grass shack or build it into a vehicle.

The hydrogen scam is toppling so now its biofuels which is just more pump cord that needs to be cut. We don't need the energy rent seeking we have to end it permanently.
    If if uses fuel it needs to be penalized and recognized as dirty and obsolete.

And we of course need to say PHEVs and Hybrids aren't EVs either- they have silly heavy redundant powertrains. They are as lame now as the new PHEV diesel scandal or dirty inefficient hybrids as 'self charging.'

And contrary to insideevs rail and trucking and marine and aviation are not going to be difficult to take 100% BEV. We're already there for truck and train- its inevitable. In these areas no one will buy new fuel based stuff after 2025, by 2030 it won't even be possible to but it in these areas. Its over.

----------
    There is and will be only one exception and that is rocket fuel which can and will be done true green.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. All cars use fuel.

turtleturtle, petteyg359 and DaleL like this.
  4. 101101

101101 Well-Known Member

Ah, no BEVs don't use fuel. Not even the nuclear fuel at the center of stars really- could be zero point but not dirty fuels.

5. world citizen

world citizen New Member

Depends where the charge comes from.

6. DaleL likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. world citizen

world citizen New Member

No, fracking, then burning stuff causes global warming by releasing Co2 that was stored away underground.
    Mining damages depending on the mining methods used.

9. Recoil45

Recoil45 Active Member

That’s one helluva twisted view you got there. According to the EIA about 87% of their fuel comes from non-renewables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

petteyg359 likes this.
  10. But that's very location dependent. Here, most electricity is from hydro or nuclear.

11. Recoil45

Recoil45 Active Member

True, but it is the combined data for the country. Not really sure what other data really matters.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SouthernDude

SouthernDude Active Member

https://www.eia.gov/electricity/data/browser/

here is where you can look at what generates electricity in the US. You can toggle the filter to see generation by state too. Very nifty tool.

turtleturtle likes this.
  14. Well, if you want to know how the electricity you're putting in your car is generated, then it matters. If you're in a state with a lot of wind-generated electricity, it doesn't affect the cleanliness of your electricity choices if another state uses coal-generated electricity.

15. Recoil45

Recoil45 Active Member

Yes. EIA is exactly what I referenced.

16. Recoil45

Recoil45 Active Member

Exactly my point.

17. TRSmith

TRSmith Member

I’m not an expert, so this might be a dumb take. But isn’t hydrogen closer to BEV than ICE?

It takes energy to produce H2 via electrolysis, right? (This is the main area where I’m not sure.) The H2 is used in a chemical reaction that creates electricity, which powers the engine.

That’s pretty similar to a battery. The charging process is really just using energy to change some things in the battery chemicals (hell if I know what), and the car changes them back to power an electric motor.

18. Recoil45

Recoil45 Active Member

You can run a traditional combustion engine on hydrogen as well.

19. world citizen

world citizen New Member

Yes, not only does Hydrogen have 3 times the energy density of gasoline, it can be used both in combustion and for storing (grey or green) electricity!
    101101 is suddenly very quiet....

20. SouthernDude

SouthernDude Active Member

generally yes, hydrogen powered vehicles tend to be more like battery EVs since hydrogen vehicles use electric motors.

21. Recoil45

Recoil45 Active Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_Hydrogen_7

And there are many others