ID4 Price increase and Battery changes

Discussion in 'ID.4' started by danrjones, Dec 27, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. danrjones

danrjones Active Member

I don't see a thread here - I've been hanging out more at the VWIDTalk threads where this is well-covered, but wanted to let anyone know who doesn't hang out over there some news:

Starting Jan 4th, the price for the ID4 will increase by $1500.

In addition, VW will be sourcing a second battery pack for the RWD ID4 - LG.
    The LG pack will charge slightly slower and have a lower max kW, but as far as what was announced, will be priced the same and the SKI pack. Same capacity.

What this will mean in terms of FED tax implications after the march release of guidance is unclear.

I like others heard this news because I was a reservation holder for an ID4. The news first appeared in our reservation page under FAQS, then a day later an email came out.

Luckily for me I was able to find a RWD at my dealer that had gone unsold, and jumped on it.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. DaleL

DaleL Active Member

I reserved a red AWD ID.4 Pro S Plus last August. I was irritated by the $1500 price increase, effective 1/4/2023. I reminded myself that the reservation was not a contract. I could cancel if I wanted and get a full refund. Then on Friday, 1/13/2023, I read that Tesla had dropped the price for a Model Y AWD long range by a whopping $13,000. That put base trims of the car under the $55,000 MSRP price cap that to qualify for the $7,500 tax credit. I had not even been considering a Tesla Model Y before Friday.

After discussing this with my wife, I ordered a blue Model Y AWD long range. MSRP for the tax credit purposes (without delivery fee) is $53,990. That is $1,700 cheaper than the ID.4 I reserved. We test drove a Model Y yesterday. The 2023 Model Y drove nicely and the seats were comfortable. We have an appointment this Saturday, 1/21/2023, to get our new Model Y. I will cancel my ID.4 reservation on Sunday.

Mark W and electriceddy like this.
  4. papab

papab Member

I have an AWD reserved that's supposed to be here next month. I have no interest in a Tesla, but VW needs to be competitive. I may just let this go and wait for a Rivian or a Blazer.

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  5. WA7S

WA7S New Member

Though I chose against the Tesla for various reasons, and got an ID4 AWD, I would not recommend an ID4 to others today. The real world range is so much less than the advertised numbers, and cold weather means frequent stops to charge at very low speeds at unreliable locations. Family members are not used to adding hours to our cross-state trip. My spouse sees the many problems I’ve had at charge stops and refuses to drive the car. At all.
    Now, my son’s Y goes further, charges faster, and has a vastly superior charging network. At present, I’d say a Y is the much more practical choice. Unless all your driving trips get you there and back home in less than 120 miles round trip (100 in the winter).

6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Wow! The same meager range as my MINI Cooper SE with its 32.6 kWh battery, but without the compensating fun component. During more than 50 years behind the wheel, neither I nor my spouse have enjoyed driving as much as we do now (I've owned many small sports cars before, but spouse is a 2-pedal gal--she finally gets to drive the fun car in the family).

$38,995 for an ID4 vs $54,990 for a Y long-range (or whatever today's adjusted price is) is a big difference, but it's the way to go for long-distance trips. However, after Elon opens up the Superchargers to riff-raff like me, charging queues may get longer.

7. To remove this ad click here.