ID4. charge port location

Discussion in 'ID.4' started by Tony S, Oct 10, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Tony S

Tony S Active Member

Regarding the single charge port on the ID4., located at the back of the passenger side of car, the only location I can add a level 2 outlet is on the driver side wall of garage. I will have to backup into the garage every time I need to charge (same goes for pulling into public fast chargers). I suggest either adding another port on the other side, or just one at the front of car.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. briloop

briloop Member

I have the same situation, though I like having the charge port on the rear passenger side. After driving on the highway, the thought of having to put my hand on the front part of the vehicle does not appeal to me. Bugs, tar, dirt, whatever, etc.

4. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

With the Kona, I have gotten used to having it in the front grille of the car. I would need to go and measure the cable from the Juicebox to see whether it would reach the rear passenger side. I suppose I could *back* into the garage, and then it would reach, but that would be a nuisance.

Tony S likes this.
  5. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Active Member

Locating the charging port on the front of the car is the most convenient, I think; but it is also the most likely to be whacked in an accident. The back fenders are the least convenient, in my opinion, so I don't like where it is on the ID.4 - but it is probably the least likely to be harmed in an accident.

So, I think the best place to locate the charging port just ahead of the driver's door is the best overall location. No place is perfect, and we can get used to any of them.

Tony S likes this.
  6. Tony S

Tony S Active Member

Agree, just ahead of driver’s door is safest and works best for most.

chris5168 and NeilBlanchard like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Just curious - in the U.K., is the charging port on the opposite side?

9. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Active Member

No, it is in the same location, no matter what market - on the right rear fender.

10. I tend to back in everywhere because its safer to pullout. So I prefer it at the back.

11. Tony S

Tony S Active Member

Now I plan to extend the cables for the NIMA 14-50 wall plug from the electric panel (on the driver side wall) to between the two front doors (inside garage). This way it’ll reach the car’s charge port and can also access the driveway. The 6-gauge cable will go through the attic above garage.

12. To remove this ad click here.