ID.Buzz US Battery Size - 91kWh (gross), RWD/AWD at launch

Discussion in 'ID. Buzz' started by bubzki, Jun 1, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bubzki

bubzki Member

https://www.vw.com/en/models/id-buzz.html

Anyone else surprised/disappointed in the launch battery capacity? I was really expecting 110kWh or so at launch and a high price tag to match.

We will see at the launch event tomorrow!

Domenick likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

The linked ID.Buzz page implies VW couldn't fit a 91 kWh battery in the 2-row European version. It also claims that the launch version's 91 kWh battery is the only battery (of course, that can't be true, but probably true for a while).

A high price tag is assurred. Will it be high enough to ensure availability? Will it be so high that dealers can't lard on their "market-price adjustments?" Is there a price that high?

4. insightman

Autoweek's article about the ID.Buzz speculated on the price:

And pricing? There is no official word at all on pricing. By scotch-taping together all the various hints, suggestions, denials, smirks, grimaces, and nervous twitches we got over the course of a day and a half spent with various VW execs and employees, we think it might be between $60,000 and $65,000 to start. Again, that is just our own guesstimate. But consider the smaller ID.4 AWD PRO S Plus crossover, with a smaller battery, tops out at $55,000. And remember this ID. Buzz will be well-loaded, has a larger battery and more size, and, well, that’s our pricing logic. It could be waaaaay off. Argue amongst yourselves.

Also, Autoweek addressed the problem of dealer mark-ups so common with rare EVs:

There was some discussion about price gouging when we spoke to VW of America CEO Pablo Di Si. He said he was going to try and stop it, though when asked how, he didn’t offer anything specific. So brace yerself, Geisela, pricing could be steep, at least at launch.

Ka-ching!

5. I was a little disappointed to see it didn't have a 111-kWh pack option. I think it could really benefit from the range, and as this is meant to be a halo vehicle, it should really have brand-leading capability.

The price, which is expected to be high, is a little less of a disappointment (aside from the fact that it's not because of a bigger battery). As I understand it, this thing will come with pretty much all the option boxes checked, so great stereo, massaging seats, and that big, trick glass roof.

OneEV, AndGuz and insightman like this.
  6. With June 2nd (International VW Bus Day) behind us, what other EVs out there have a similar 91-kWh (85-kWh usable) battery pack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

The EV_database has a list of EVs by battery size.

AndGuz likes this.
  9. OneEV

OneEV Member Subscriber

Yeah that's an issue (not big enough battery) for me as an Uber driver. I need at least the range I get out of my ID 4 and preferably a heat pump as well. I would love to drive Uber with the Buzz but makes no sense for me if it is going to get less range than my ID 4. Which btw is as bad as the Chevy Bolt in the winter (range wise) BUT redeems it self with much much fast charging than the Bolt (drove it for 3 years mn winters) .

Most of my Charging is @ home but have 5-6 times a month need to DCFC .