ICE Cars Owners are Unaware of the Personal Benefits of an EV Charging Stn in their Building

Discussion in 'General' started by DJP, Mar 15, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. DJP

DJP Active Member

We recently bought a condo in a building with 2x FLO Level 2 charging stations. The seller and their agent were totally unaware of them and didn't catch on that it was the charging stations that put their property above all others we were considering in the same area (Simon Fraser University).

Until now, I used to think that charging stations are solely for the benefit of EV owners, but actually it makes all the units in a complex with charging stations much more attractive to a wider pool of buyers when they are being sold.

I was quite surprised that with all the places we viewed the selling agents had never been asked whether there were charging stations in the building, despite seeing quite a few EV's in the parking lots. Lining this up with the increase in EV’s and some car manufacturers planning to stop production of gas/diesel vehicles, there’s a lot to do with educating building managers and real estate agents on the demand there will be for charging stations. There isn't even a field in the MLS listings to indicate EV charging is available for a property.

Without "at home" charging the public charging stations are becoming more and more overwhelmed with the needs of EV owners without this access. Although recently constructed buildings have been mandated to provide charging stations, or at least the services to install them, the real problem is with older buildings where the majority of condo owners live.

My own experience with our previous condo is that even with generous government financial assistance (plus my offer to pay all costs) and no actual physical or power limitations to prevent the installation of a charging station, strata councils have veto power over these installations.

I'm wondering whether there eventually may need to be "a right to charge" which is legislated to overcome the strata councils' veto.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Recoil45

Recoil45 Active Member

In many many ways, the government is putting the cart in front of the horse with EVs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. When I told my real estate agent I was looking for a condo apartment that offered me charging on site, she was stunned and had never considered it a plus, and said she didn't know how to even search for such options (eye roll)......I just added "charger" or "charging" to a keyword search on the MLS website. I found the condo, and she got the 2.5% buying agent fee.

5. SouthernDude

SouthernDude Active Member

Real Estate agents don't really think about EVs because barely anyone drives an EV right now. Once the penetration of EVs gets to a certain point, agents and building owners will care a lot more about charging infrastructure. EV infrastructure will eventually be seen in a similar way as toilets, access to electricity, air conditioning, and locks on doors - no regulations necessary.

6. DJP

DJP Active Member

No training was needed for my agent. She drives a Tesla. I used Plugshare to look for buildings with charging stations and then looked for listings at those buildings and asked my agent to get a viewing. At SFU, this was a simple process because apart from the public charging stations, there is only one condo building with chargers and it had two listings --both had great views which were an added bonus.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.