ICCU recall (large scale)

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by electriceddy, Mar 14, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Expected to include E-GMP 500,000 vehicles worldwide.
    Hyundai, Kia to Make Largest EV Recall since Launch of First EV Models - Businesskorea

"It is the largest voluntary recall in three years since the automaker entered the market...

An ICCU is responsible for managing electric vehicles’ power and controlling batteries. If there is a problem with an ICCU, the electric car may not start, its battery may be discharged, and it may not be possible to fully charge the battery. In the meantime, there have been many reports of ICCU failures in Korean electric cars among members of internet car communities in Korea.
    A separate investigation was underway in the United States regarding the recall. The US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) conducted its own investigation following a complaint that the IONIQ 5 loses power while running. “It was determined that the power loss was caused by the ICCU,” the NHTSA said in its preliminary report on the case, “We found that the transistor could be damaged due to overcurrent within the ICCU.” Hyundai Motor Group’s decision to recall the models is likely a proactive move ahead of regulatory decisions in North America and Europe, some experts say."

Hopefully materials required to complete the task at hand will be available within too long.
    I can see this progressing on a need to replace basis, more or less like the recent worldwide pack recall LG - Kona and Bolt EVs.
    It is a good thing in any case, and hopefully solves the well-documented issue at hand for existing owners.:)
    I would expect the problem component(s) will be upgraded in all ICCU's going forward ie: 2025 MY.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2024
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. rcarter3636

rcarter3636 Member

Yep.
    This hit here in the US.
    My I6 is going in tomorrow for the update and hardware check.
    Similar to the same one sent out last year for the same issue….except different update this time.
    Hope they finally get it right with this one!

4. rcarter3636

rcarter3636 Member

Software update and fuse replacement complete.
    ICCU checked out ok.
    Took about 45 minutes.

electriceddy likes this.
  5. If DTC P1A9096 is stored, than ICCU must also be replaced, if no DTC is stored, than a software update is only required...at least according to this March 2024 recall TSB:
    HMA TSB (nhtsa.gov)
    "It is critical when performing repairs to ensure the ICCU and High Voltage Fuse are replaced simultaneously. Damage to the PRA can occur if the High Voltage Fuse is replaced and the vehicle is placed in "Ready Mode" without the replacement ICCU part."
    If the repair only took 45 minutes, I suspect software updated only. The allowance time for ICCU replacement, software and coolant replacement is 2.1 to 2.4 M/H
    At least the way I read it, only fuse replacement and software update if the ICCU has been replaced.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2024
  6. rcarter3636

rcarter3636 Member

Maybe so.
    It read:
    DTC Chk ICCU & ICCU Fuse RPL (24-01-023H)DTC
    Software update (recall 257)WII ZZ3

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. JasonG

JasonG Member

Had my 2023 Ioniq 5 serviced yesterday for my one year service and this recall. Says: "iccu inspected, no codes, update complete"