I rode on the FIRST electric school bus in B.C.

Discussion in 'General' started by electriceddy, May 10, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Last edited: May 10, 2021
    mho, DaleL, Domenick and 3 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Earl

Earl Active Member

That's awesome!!

4. Electric school bus sounds great. But wow, $350,000 for each bus?

Domenick likes this.
  5. Earl

Earl Active Member

It opens up the market at least. Clearly, a lot of tax dollars at work.
    It won't be hard for Bluebird and others to match this. The next round will undoubtedly be a lot more competitive.
    The electric bus market will be very interesting to watch. Some inside info I gleaned about a local city that debuted some electric busses this winter is that they are very popular within the department. EV grins everywhere.

6. That seems super expensive. Diesel buses appear to be in the $80,000 neighborhood and the Thomas Built Saf-T-Liner C2 Jouley are said to be $120,000 more than a traditional bus (sidenote: it's not easy finding new bus prices). That would be about $242,000 in Canadian dollars. Plus the Thomas Built Buses use Proterra powertrain, so I tend to have more faith in it.

turtleturtle and DaleL like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. turtleturtle and Domenick like this.
  9. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

I think the viability of school bus EV is dependent on the way the bus system is run. Most buses run a maybe 10 mile loop 4 to 6 times a day[depending on whether middle school is separate] but in Mass many districts don't own their buses and they would have to return to their depot at the end of day. That longer round trip would mean a chunk of the range would be taken up with that 'commute'
    Also even a small district with a half dozen buses would have quite a charging setup

IMHO the construction style of school buses has not changed in 70 years or more. IF someone was to reinvent the school bus so it could lose a few thousand pounds of weight, making it EV would be easier. The issue would be to get the miles per kW up to a decent level so that battery cost is not extravagant and charging can be managed

10. I was thinking about this too: there's gotta be a better way to build school buses. Lighter, more aerodynamic, not prohibitively expensive, with the ability to scale. The same approach could be taken with any number of large vehicles. I'm not a materials expert so I'm not sure if a low-riding composite uni-body with solar roof is the best solution, but it is in my imagination. :)

11. Earl

Earl Active Member

I'm not sure I agree that aerodynamics are particularly critical since most school busses seldom drive over ~40 mph. Lightweight is important for ICE, however, the ability of regenerative braking to recapture acceleration energy means that it may be better to focus on improving regenerative braking efficiency rather than reducing the vehicle mass.
    Price, of course is also important but that is lifetime cost so fuel costs of an ICE which is so inefficient in stop-start driving is probably the biggest favor toward EVs.

Domenick likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.