I just saw 118 miles estimated range (BEV)

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Mechy, Jun 4, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. Mechy

Mechy New Member

After a DC fast charge, the estimate jumped to 118 miles on the Clarity Electric. I have only total 470 miles so far. Nice!

Moderate amount of highway but mostly under 60. Temperate weather so minimal heater/ac use. Most of the time just the fan on 1 or 2.

Louis Nisenbaum likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Clarity club. It’s nice to have some Clarity EV folks on the forum. We’re almost all PHEVs. Enjoy the warm weather range.

You’ll find that ac use doesn’t reduce your range very much, so I use it whenever I need it without a guilty conscience. However, the heater/defroster will significantly reduce your range. The only way to ameliorate that is to precondition on EVSE power (Level 2 EVSE is best) or dress like an Eskimo.

The supplied Level 1 EVSE is too weak to charge and precondition at the same time. You either have to stop charging or wait till charging us over and we have reports that the heating is a little weak in very low temps.

Is the DC fast charging free and if not, what is the cost? Will it tell you the max KW rate it charges at? Thanks.

Mechy likes this.
  4. Mechy

Mechy New Member

Thanks! I could not resist the lease deal for such a nice car, coming from a 18 year old cars. I see a lot of PHEVs around. I was actually surprised that I have different taillights than the PHEV. I'd never seen one before I got mine.

Is there a way to lock out the heater? (like the A/C or econ switch in ICE cars to prevent the compressor from running). Is it linked to the fan at all? The range display shows I can get ~10 miles further if I turn off the blower (even on the lowest settings) but I find that a bit too stale.

Luckily I live in a temperate climate so preconditioning isn't strictly necessary, and I haven't felt the need yet, but it's good to know it can precondition after charging on the level 1 stock EVSE. Now if I could find out why it is tripping the GFCI after a minute...

The DC chargers near me are $0.25/kWh at around 20-25 kW. After 1 hour, the parking rate jumps up per minute to encourage people to move out of the spot.