I hit 100,000 miles!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by StickWare, Apr 3, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. StickWare

StickWare Active Member

Well. I hit 100K miles. I’ve never seen anyone else. Lots of Uber and Lyft driving.

Onto the next 100K

Attached Files:

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

Your riders must enjoy that back seat.

Daniel M W and Cash Traylor like this.
  4. Cash Traylor

Cash Traylor Well-Known Member

@StickWare

Oh, now the warranty issue makes sense... However, it is good to know that the Clarity can stand up to that kind of use! Man, I would be soooooo appreciative if you would post a HV battery capacity test result (with the actual printed report) in my Battery Capacity for Warranty thread, when you go get one that is. Normally they are free if in for any service or any emissions inspection, since they are plugged in already.

You have to be the highest mileage user here!

https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/battery-capacity-test-reports-ongoing-data-for-warranty.8317/

Best wishes and stay safe with this crisis,

Cash

5. Saw that in the FB group. Congrats.

StickWare likes this.
  6. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

Very nice !

With that many miles, I would presume that you have a lot more gas miles than EV.
    Do you have a guestimate as to how many of the 100K were EV?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. The Gadgeteer

The Gadgeteer Active Member

What has been your experience with the tires?

9. StickWare

StickWare Active Member

probably 5-10% is EV

Cash Traylor likes this.
  10. StickWare

StickWare Active Member

I used original tires to about 50K miles.

I buy used 80% tires now. I drive a lot.

The Gadgeteer likes this.
  11. How often do you drive around with 0.0EV range?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. StickWare

StickWare Active Member

J
    most of the time. Why ??

14. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

Congrats on the 100K miles. You're on the other side of the spectrum of most owners. I suspect Honda expected people to drive in EV mode for 25-30% of the miles in formulating the warranty. I'm in EV mode for about 80% of total miles. I don't think the battery will last 100K in my way of usage but I'm hoping my babying of the battery will extend the life somewhat (keeping battery between 40-75% SOC most of the time, only charge between 55-75 degrees F, 50% SOC if idle for more than a couple of days, using HV mode regularly to maintain health of ICE and battery, cell balance about once a month, etc). I know most people can't do what I'm doing (I work from home and run several short errands during the day so I can charge between each). Bought car in Dec 2017 and have about 20K miles. GOM is still showing 70 miles when I charge fully.

15. Some owners have experienced poor performance/lack of power when driving in HV mode with depleted batteries. The ICE driven generator is only capable of providing sufficient current to the traction motor to produce ~60hp, whereas the Lithium batteries can provide 121hp. The combination of the two can provide 181hp, maybe even 212hp.

Keeping the batteries as least partially charged may improve your driving experience. If you’re zipping around on $1.49 gas, it may be less costly to use HV Charge rather than plugging in. Also, no down time.

16. Nemesis

Nemesis Active Member

Wow, StickWare, that is awesome and thanks for sharing. 100,000 miles so far makes my 33,000 look like weekend travel only. I would love to hear of any repairs related to component failures. Also if the car still drives as nice when new, suspension and those types of things. How has the seat held up and now at 100,000 I think that is the interval for full tune up with spark plugs and such. Basically what maintenance and out of maintenance work was perform to get you to 100,000 miles. I purchased the 8 year 120,000 honda warranty, so I as I'm sure others are interested in hearing your journey.

17. PHEV Newbie

I second Landshark's advice. The computer definitely avoids using the traction battery to supplement the ICE when depleted to avoid harm to the battery. I've experimented on an upgrade nearby where I climb about 2000' (not sure the grade but semi trucks go up slowly). With a battery less than 40%, the ICE screams and I'm in the slow lane (it doesn't even need to be depleted for this to happen!). With more than 60%, the ICE hums nicely because the battery is adding significantly to the total power and I'm flying up in the fast lane. If you are driving with a depleted battery, you do not have full power available and you are potentially putting your safety at risk. Keep your battery to at least 50% in HV mode for access to full power.

18. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

100K wow. What's the range on EV after a full charge? Wondering how the batt capacity looks like after 100k

19. The Gadgeteer

The Gadgeteer Active Member

I fear this will restart a flurry of debate on the topic.

I have not an issue with steep grades at any battery level or speed. I find sport mode and no HV/HV charge during a steep climb works best.

I will let others speculate why that is. My guess is that combo is most indicative of my desire to use all available power for locomotion not efficiency nor maintaining charge. Part of it might also be psychological since I am not pressing the accelerator pedal as far in Sport mode.

ICanBreakIt and bpratt like this.
  20. Good questions. Particularly in this case where Stickware has stated that “most of the time” the car is driven with an EV range of 0.

We could reasonably conclude that the batteries have been kept at a low SOC for most of the 100K miles.

When was the car purchased?
    How many charge cycles have the batteries undergone?

It would be an interesting data point, although not necessarily representative of a typical owner.

Ray B likes this.
  21. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

When the EV range is 0, doesn't the Clarity PHEV operate like an Accord Hybrid, working from a small reserve that it keeps charged with an icon-free HV Charge?

Texas22Step and bpratt like this.
  22. Nemesis

Nemesis Active Member

I will just say when my Clarity has zero battery range, my car still drives great and is not slow at all. I've driven from Boston to Atlanta and back twice with my wife and 3 kids in the back and luggage and never once was hurting for power going up hill or on straights. Most of the time 75 to 85 mph (10 miles over limit). In addition to many Boston to NY and Bost to New Hampshire and 33,000 on my 2018. And I drive in economy HV, never use sport. I am not discounting others that say their Clarity struggles when the battery range is zero, just saying in my time with my car, I have never noticed a loss in power.

ICanBreakIt likes this.
  23. PHEV Newbie

The major difference is that the Accord Hybrid has an ICE that's 33% larger in a car that's 700 lbs lighter. The power output is the same as the Clarity (181 hp max from the electric motor). Without Clarity's big battery, Honda had to install a much larger ICE as a generator to provide the same overall power. If that wasn't the case, Honda could have installed Clarity's 1.5 liter ICE into the Accord but they didn't because it would be underpowered, just like the Clarity with a depleted battery. In fact, the Clarity with a depleted battery would perform much worse than an Accord Hybrid with a hypothetical 1.5 liter ICE because it weighs 700 lbs more. Yes, you can drive the Clarity with a depleted battery under normal circumstances but I feel a lot better if I had the reserve power in the event of an emergency and there have been times over the years where sufficient acceleration saved me from a terrible crash.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    Texas22Step and insightman like this.