Hyundai Kona Electric Catches Fire AGAIN!

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Sean Kim, Oct 3, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Sean Kim

Sean Kim New Member

b17fb1a2edb881b5513849e6dc5f5b87.jpg
    There was a fire of Kona Electric in Daegu, South Korea on Oct 4. The car was charging when it happened. This is the 12th fire of Hyundai Kona Electric, most of which happened in South Korea. Neither Hyundai nor the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport (equivalent to the NHTSA in the US) has ever released any official report on the cause of the fires. They just said that they are working on it. So, many owners of Kona Electric drivers in South Korea are upset about their reactions.
    The photo is from the website, https://zdnet.co.kr/view/?no=20201004091959&from=pc

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Ed C

Ed C Active Member

Yeah, Hyundai is like one of S Korea's biggest companies. The government might try to protect their reputation, so not much is revealed to the public....hence the secrecy. The company is not very open, including revealing the causes of its vehicle problems. The BMS update is a reaction to the recent spate of EV fires, but Hyundai calls it a 'service campaign', not an actual recall. Yet they are forcing any Kona EV owners who bring their cars to a dealer in for a service to undergo the BMS update.

So far, I have yet to bring in my car to the dealer, despite it reaching 16,000 miles. From the horror story of how some owners require a traction battery replacement after the update....I am not going to have them fix what is not really broken, so that Hyundai can cover their liability.

4. Give it a few more miles and it will automatically pass the battery test portion of the TBS, 20,000 I think. I will have no option but to get the BMS update at my 2nd service later this month.

electriceddy likes this.
  5. KiwiME likes this.