Hyundai Ioniq 5 and Kia EV6 - ColdGate Petition

Discussion in 'General' started by Andre Laurence, Dec 8, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. A while ago a petition was started because Hyundai and Kia electric cars have a challenge when trying to fast charge in very cold weather; they are slow until the battery warms up, even if the vehicles have the winter package. It has come to be known as ColdGate and it is not great for PR but is not being addressed. This issue could be solved easily with a software update that allows the user to preheat the battery before getting to a fast-charging station, but neither Hyundai nor Kia have reacted. This solvable issue affected the Kona Electric, Ioniq Electric, Niro EV and Soul EV, and because they are slightly “older” technology the manufacturers were not really paying attention to a petition that was created.

Today the Hyundai Ioniq 5 and Kia EV6 are the new electric vehicles from both companies and guess what… they did not add the preheat feature and both brand new, about to arrive in North America, flagship electric vehicles suffer from ColdGate! The petition has doubled the number of signatures since the new cars were added to it, but the petition still needs our help to get Hyundai and Kia to fix the issue.

Please sign this petition created by Aleš Dokoupil

https://www.change.org/p/kia-motors-global-add-manual-battery-preheating-for-kia-e-niro-ev-my19-21-hyundai-kona-ev-new-hyundai-ioniq5-kia-ev6?recruiter=292455353&recruited_by_id=385cd9f0-f59c-11e4-863e-f1b613fc28e2&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=petition_dashboard

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. FWIW I posted this some time ago:
    https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/manual-battery-preheating-petition.10891/
    at that time there were only 800+ signed, good to see over 2700 now, so it must have done something. Note: I also posted in Kona EV forum.
    Whether anything will come of it, I doubt it, but time will tell and more signatures always helps

Andre Laurence likes this.
  4. Ales recently updated the petition to include the EV6 and Ioniq 5, which recently caused the number of signatures to double. Since he added the new cars to the petition I thought it was worth sharing again. I also shared it on my YouTube channel community page, and on my EV-olution Facebook page, to try and get more signatures. Hopefully we can grow the list and get the attention of Hyundai and Kia.

Domenick likes this.
  5. Andy Murray

Andy Murray New Member

Thanks, I missed it before, but just signed.

Andre Laurence likes this.
  6. Thanks for signing. Ales will be happy and hopefully this petition will get the software feature added before I get my EV6 next year

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. larsamike

larsamike New Member

Hyundai still has a lot to learn about EV software.
    Trust me... I owned one.
    Good range..yes..
    Everything else... reveals their lack of experience in the the Electric vehicle world.
    They are newcomers to this format.
    Even Nissan beats them badly at engineering and software.

9. Smitty79

Smitty79 Member

I will not buy one of these without this feature. The EV6 is one of my top few otherwise.